Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Accuracy problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 05:53 PM

Re: Accuracy problems

I wish I could say I've never had a problem attributable to a loose nut behind the trigger.
Cold shots are finicky critters indeed, but you shouldn't need sub moa for a 200 yard shot.
Follow the directions on a can of Wipe Out, or store it with some Bore Snake Venom in the bore and patch it out before you take it out. If you think you need a couple of fouling shots, assume there is enough protection left in the pores of the bore to not worry about it. Experiment enough at the range enough to feel confident.
If you have money to throw at the "problem", it's a good enough excuse, a guaranteed result might be elusive.
Few people can (honestly) say they have never succumb to buck fever, even if it's a doe.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:42 PM

I have taken my 2 fouling shots then waited 20 minutes between shots, taken 2 fouling shots then take 3 rapid shots with the same results. I appreciate everyones input but I have about decided to get rid of it and maybe one or two more and buy a custom rifle. Talked to a gun smith today and he felt it was a bedding problem.

Not intending to sound arrogant, but I have been hunting and shooting long enough to know when it was me or the rifle. When I missed the doe I was shocked and just had to go to the range to make sure it wasn't me or that I had somehow knocked the scope off. I was shooting out of a large box stand with a shelf and a sand bag. The rifle was very steady.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo View Post
I have taken my 2 fouling shots then waited 20 minutes between shots, taken 2 fouling shots then take 3 rapid shots with the same results. I appreciate everyones input but I have about decided to get rid of it and maybe one or two more and buy a custom rifle. Talked to a gun smith today and he felt it was a bedding problem.

Not intending to sound arrogant, but I have been hunting and shooting long enough to know when it was me or the rifle. When I missed the doe I was shocked and just had to go to the range to make sure it wasn't me or that I had somehow knocked the scope off. I was shooting out of a large box stand with a shelf and a sand bag. The rifle was very steady.
If I remember right there is a thread around here about the bedding of the tikka and the recoil lug causing some odd issues.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"