Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Accuracy Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 03:14 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Accuracy Problem

try a different scope that you feel is a good one.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:19 PM
Platinum Member

Bummer!!! It looks like you have things fairly well covered, I would doubt the scope would be the issue but I would look at bedding that EGW base, I found it to be an issue with my model 12, as everyone else said make double sure it is free floated and also make sure the tang is free floated also with the Savage, I've heard that if you have an accustock that playing with the torque on the wedge can really change things though I have yet to get an accustock model to play with.
My model 12 will literally pitch Bergers into a 1 foot area at random at 200yrds but shoot a 7/8 group at 200yrds with an Accubond so some times you just have to find the sweet spot, you just hope it will be a wide one

Everybody makes a bad one every once in a while so I would aggressively figure it out and if it needs to go back to Savage for some work get it done soon under warranty.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:31 PM
Platinum Member

I'm blaming ammo! Try some federal premium and black hills. Both ammo's you are using are not known for accuracy.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 10-07-2010, 03:40 PM
Silver Member

Throw in a match bullet with 175 SMK and see what you get. 1:10 may like the 175's very much...
Old 10-07-2010, 06:42 PM
Silver Member

Try tapping the scope (lightly)with a small rubber mallet at the rings after 5 shots. The screws my be loose ever so slightly. Tighten then shoot some moore. If not the ammo is most likely the prob. Try a ladder test with hand loads. this has worked for me.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Silver Member

Before I'd do anything, I would check the parallex. Make sure the scope is secure and without moving it move your eye back and forth. If the crosshairs move you've got a bad scope. This would be the only other thing I would try prior to remounting it
Old 10-08-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosesniper2000 View Post
Before I'd do anything, I would check the parallex. Make sure the scope is secure and without moving it move your eye back and forth. If the crosshairs move you've got a bad scope. This would be the only other thing I would try prior to remounting it
Thanks for the input. Could I ask for some clarification on this? Not sure if I totally understand the proper procedure.