Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

accuracy from long range under 10 lb guns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2008, 01:39 PM
Platinum Member

accuracy from long range under 10 lb guns?

i've heard some mention they can shoot accurately out to 1k with their "lighter than we normally use" guns. would like to hear how accurate you can shoot, with what weight gun and the cartridge/bullet weight you're using. i'm considering a light weight rig for backpack type hunting and have been curious about accuracy at distance with them.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:51 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: accuracy from long range under 10 lb guns?

My lightweight general big game hunting rifle is my 7mm AM based on a Rem 700, HS sporter stock, HS DM system and Lilja #3 contour SS barrel.

With the 3.5-10x40mm Mk4 Leuy and a 9-13" Harris standard bipod, it comes in at 9 3/4 lbs ready to hunt with.

With the 200 gr ULD RBBT(3185 fps) or 160 gr Accubond(3445 fps), it will easily hold under moa out to a full 1000 yards. That said, I am not comfortable shooting at big game to that range with this rifle. My personal standard is 1/2 mile range limit with this rifle where it will consistantly hold 3/4 moa or better.

If its breezy out, the 160 gr Accubond is not a 1/2 mile bullet in this rifle just because its effected by the wind much more. THe 200 gr ULD bucks the wind very well.

Personally, if I am going to build a dedicated 1000 yard rifle, it will be 12-14 lbs ready to hunt with. The extra weight just adds to the shootability of the rifles and makes them easier to shoot to 1000 yards and hold much better consistancy as well.

Thats just me though.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-26-2008, 04:15 PM
Silver Member

It should not be a problem to get any custom/semi-custom rifle to consistently hit 1MOA targets, no matter the weight. Matter of fact it shouldn't be a problem to get several factory guns to do it.

A 7.5lb all up, 7mm WSM Montana that is capable of killing big game from 0-1K is backpacking bliss.....
Old 08-26-2008, 05:03 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Charles A,

What groups are you getting with that 7.5 lb 7mm WSM at 1000 yards from field shooting positions?

Just curious.

I can tell you that if you can consistantly hold 1 moa out to 1000 yards with that rifle, you have an exceptional rifle for a Montana and you are an exceptional shot as well. Not saying its not possible, hardly the case, but its not common.

The shootability of a rifle is just as important as its shear accuracy potential. If fly farts next to you and moves the rifle right before it goes bang, you will never be able to hold that rifle steady enough for consistant grouping in all conditions and all shooting positions that are appropriate for long range shooting. If breathing and heart rate will move a rifle because it does not weigh enough to dampen that movement you will get get 1 moa groups at 1 K.

Just curious what the group size you are getting at 1K and with what load?

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-26-2008, 06:35 PM
Platinum Member

With a custom F-class rifle weighting about 14 pounds where the distance is known and the drops have been verified monthly for two years here is what my son shot to beat me last week at ranges from 800 yards to 1000 yards. This was with winds less than 1 mph. He was using a 308 and the only people who beat him were using 6.5-284s and they were lucky he didn't smoke them.

16 out of 50 shots in 1.0 MOA circle
22 out of 50 shots in 2.0 MOA circle
12 out of 50 in 3.0 MOA circle

Just something to think about being as the rifle will hold 0.3 MOA at 100 yards easily and I do mean easily.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:50 PM
Platinum Member

Sorry, but I got distracted while watching Jeopardy and forgot the bottom line. In F-class as in real hunting, it is not only group size that means something but more importantly shot placement. Shooting a bull elk in the left hind leg three times and having a small group is a lot different than putting three through the chest. light bulb
Old 08-26-2008, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member

Dave, good question here. I have a Sako finnlight in 300 WSM weighing in @ 6 3/8 lbs with a 24" fluted barrel. I'll be putting a 2 lb NF NXS scope on it.

When I bought this rifle I wasn't considering LR hunting, but have become interested since. I'm planning on shooting 180 gr E-Tips with a BC of .523 which is good for a .30 cal hunting bullet. The ballistics tell me I can get one of these bullets out to about 850 - 950 yds with an opening performance velocity of 1800 fps, depending on MV, elevation etc.

As Kirby has mentioned, it will take both me and the rifle to be reliably accurate to those distances. When you think about it, it really boils down to that first shot.

My next LR packing rifle will likely be a 7mm Dakota built off my old Ruger tang saftey action, with #5 or #6, 26' or 27" Lilja flutted barrel amd Mc Millan stock. It should be capable of pushing a 180 gr VLD with a BC of .684 @ about 3050 fps. This load wil get the VLD out to 1200 yds @ 1800 fps at a conservative elk hunting elevation of 6000 ft. I would use 150 gr E-Tips at closer ranges out to about 600 yds.

Good hunting

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 08-26-2008 at 07:27 PM.