Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics


Reply

Accuracy change with Altitude change.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Old 11-16-2012, 04:04 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gillette, Wy
Posts: 243
Re: Accuracy change with Altitude change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xforfun View Post
Hogwash!!! You are talking about interior balistics. If the velosity is the same, the group size is the same. You are talking about reducing/increasing velocity due to temp sensitivity of the powder. the only thing that does that is INTERIOR balistics. Change the velosity and of course the group size could get bigger....but..it could also get SMALLER. It just depends on how carefull and anal you were during load development. Baro, altitude, humidity have ZERO affect on accuracy. Temp also has zero effect on accuracy, provided that you either keep your ammo the same temp as your load development or you tweek your velosity to keep it constant with your load development.
Once the bullet leaves the muzzle it is under the influence of external forces. To say it has no bearing on accuracy is hogwash. 1/4" at a hundred worth, I don't know.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-16-2012, 05:12 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 901
Re: Accuracy change with Altitude change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucknbach View Post
Once the bullet leaves the muzzle it is under the influence of external forces. To say it has no bearing on accuracy is hogwash. 1/4" at a hundred worth, I don't know.
Of course outside or exterior balistics have a bearing on the flight of a bullet. POI can change drasticly due to temp, Baro,ect....wind can blow it all over hell, but the ACCURACY will not change. If you can shoot a 5 inch group at 1k in calm conditions, you can do the same thing in a 20 MPH wind if it stays constant....If you can shoot a 5" group at sea level, you can do it at 15000 feet....only the POI changes. Same with baro (to a much smaller degree).....you groups will be the same size, just your POI will change. Coriolis...spin drift...ect...all exterior forces. If you can shoot a 5" group shooting east, you can do it shooting west...only the POI changes.

NOBODY said that exterior balistics have NO effect on the flight of a bullet...just no effect on accuracy...as long as the conditions holds through your string.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-16-2012, 05:23 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Townsend, Montana.
Posts: 7,934
Re: Accuracy change with Altitude change.

One thing to maybe consider here would be the fact that air density/ altitude and air thickness comes into play with the needed twist rate for a given bullet. Some stability issues could come into play with altitude.

Jeff
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-16-2012, 06:19 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 901
Re: Accuracy change with Altitude change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
One thing to maybe consider here would be the fact that air density/ altitude and air thickness comes into play with the needed twist rate for a given bullet. Some stability issues could come into play with altitude.

Jeff
BROZ,



Agreed....but....I would think that you would have to be on the very edge for that to happen. I have a 1-12 twist 30 cal that I planned on shooting the 187 BIB in 1K. That didn't work out, so I decided to try the new 200 Berger Hybrid, even though I was told it wouldn't stablize. VUNDERBULLET !!!...at least for now. Checking the stabilization program says that I am in the "yellow".... on the edge....something under 1.1 factor. I am not sure how it works, but if it works at sea level it should work at a higher alt...or is it visa versa? If it is visa versa, then yes....IF.... you are already on the edge. This IS something that I might worry about with this paticular bbl if I end up shooting at a match in Colorado. Right now I never see a range with an alt over 1500 feet.

But this is really splitting hairs. What changes group size is harmonics....barrel time. Change the time the bullet is in the tube and you will change group size. You can change group size by changing neck tension...BUT once you find the right tension for a bbl, it never changes, regaurdless of powder types/charge/altitude/temp/ect..... Same with seating depth....you can change the shape/size of a group by changing seating depth of the bullet...but, once you find it, for that bullet, it won't change (in relationship to the lands) no matter what powder and speed you shoot.

Interior balistics.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-17-2012, 12:33 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: St Anthony ID
Posts: 14
Re: Accuracy change with Altitude change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xforfun View Post
Hogwash!!! You are talking about interior balistics. If the velosity is the same, the group size is the same. You are talking about reducing/increasing velocity due to temp sensitivity of the powder. the only thing that does that is INTERIOR balistics. Change the velosity and of course the group size could get bigger....but..it could also get SMALLER. It just depends on how carefull and anal you were during load development. Baro, altitude, humidity have ZERO affect on accuracy. Temp also has zero effect on accuracy, provided that you either keep your ammo the same temp as your load development or you tweek your velosity to keep it constant with your load development.
Any one who believes he is going to get the same group size when he does his development at 200ft 80 degrees and 80% humidity and then hunts at 9500ft 40 degrees and 15% humidity has not shot much in the west. how do you Keep your rifle warm on a ridge in a 20 MPH wind. rifle temp is just as important as ammo temp. Get the best groups you can at the conditions that as closely duplicate what your hunting conditions are going to be and accept that it may change.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-17-2012, 01:25 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Huron, SD
Posts: 305
Re: Accuracy change with Altitude change.

All of the academic stuff is cool and all. Still doesn't address the real world.

Show me a 1/4 moa shooter in the field, at any elevation.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-17-2012, 10:22 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 901
Re: Accuracy change with Altitude change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPreheim View Post
Any one who believes he is going to get the same group size when he does his development at 200ft 80 degrees and 80% humidity and then hunts at 9500ft 40 degrees and 15% humidity has not shot much in the west. how do you Keep your rifle warm on a ridge in a 20 MPH wind. rifle temp is just as important as ammo temp. Get the best groups you can at the conditions that as closely duplicate what your hunting conditions are going to be and accept that it may change.
You are injecting a third parameter. Keeping the gun warm was not the issue...accuracy was. " WILL ACCURACY CHANGE WITH ELEVATION CHANGE" is the question. I do a bunch of my 1000 yard BR load work in the dead of winter. I keep the gun warm by shooting it...never let it get cold. In fact I get them HOT, just like at a match. After the first few shots I am ready to start shooting groups. Keeping the ammo warm is the most important factor. Mine sits in my warm truck untill it is time to shoot. Group size is no different at zero F than it is at 80F...as long as you keep things constant. I am just saying that all things (gun and ammo related) being equal.....temp, humidity, alt, baro(which takes the place of alt) ....EXTERIOR BALISTICS...will not change the group size. Only POI will change.

Yes, you are all right ..to a degree....gun temps, ammo temps,...and on and on...all will change group size. You can't possably keep things warm in the field. That is a change in INTERIOR balistics. BUT..you are all thinking that the groups will get bigger. Why can't they get smaller? This is LRH...most everyone here shoots larger caliber magnums. I am pretty sure that everyone didn't do thier load development in1/10 of a gr increments and found that absolute PERFECT tune. Your ammo gets cold...you loose 10, 20, maybe 30 fps...who is to say that that decrease in velocity won't bring your gun MORE into tune? I had the oppisate happen to me at the 2011 IBS 1000 yard nationals in WV.....It was 92 -95 degrees. I have never shot in that warm of temp. the only way for me to shoot those conditions at home is to get things HOT and let the case cook in the chamber for xx seconds to get the ammo hot...or leave them in the sun..or the oven. Or load hotter ammo. Anyway..long story short, my gun shot better than it ever has in the hot weather. things got hot, velocity's went up ( a factor of interior balistics), the gun came MORE into tune, and I took home most of the wood.

And as far as the shooter..you are absolutly right....higher elevation...less O2, breathing harder....mabe not as comforatable shooting on the range as he is at home....ect....can and will make groups get bigger.

Last edited by 4xforfun; 11-17-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Accuracy change with Altitude change.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Velosity change with bullet change? 13point Reloading 3 11-13-2012 03:41 PM
What is an acceptable change in velocity with a change in temp tslesquire Reloading 3 08-10-2012 02:57 PM
Will iron sights change my accuracy mtdigger Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 1 02-03-2011 07:42 PM
does bullet speed change with altitude pressman General Discussion 2 09-07-2009 06:21 PM
Change in lot #'s accuracy lost ? motoguy Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 1 02-11-2004 10:23 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC