Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Accubond LR Comparison and G7 BC Test

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2014, 01:13 PM
Silver Member

Re: Accubond LR Comparison and G7 BC Test

I would feel confident shooting anything in North American with my 300Wm and a 208 amax.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:16 PM
Platinum Member

I've seen some pretty good performasnce with the A-Max even down to 300-400 yards on deer and bear......Rich
Old 01-04-2014, 08:03 PM
Bronze Member

While I'm not as computer literate and you folks, Its often hard to get my point across via computer. Don't take offense.

My experience on KUDU, Eland, GemsBok, and Wildebeest has been they do not perform.

The 2 PH's (I'm now good friends with) laughed when I told them what I was shooting.

They call the A-MAX the meat-musher for the superficial damage it does.

The skinners-butchers in SA who clean hundreds of animals a year agreed. But what do they know?

Don't confuse your limited experience as evidence of performance.

People that do this for a living and the manufacturer disagree with real evidence.

Accurate yes. Hunting bullets no.

Otherwise Hornady would market them as acceptable for thin skinned game.

Hopefully, Ethics is not a lost concept on your generation.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:56 PM
Silver Member

MMERSS

Many thanks for your efforts!!! You have answered many of the questions I had. Thank you for taking the time and posting the results.

Concerning the Amax/ABLR hunting suitability. TikkaMike's Dad had it right- two holes, one in and one out. I know the controversy but Denwa is relaying the experience of the African PH's who have considerable experience in these matters. Elmer Keith once said African game did not experience winter so never became "poor in the flesh" because of winter's toll on the herds. He believed that pound for pound African game was tougher than North American game.

Just sayin'...

KB
Old 01-06-2014, 08:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENWA View Post
While I'm not as computer literate and you folks, Its often hard to get my point across via computer. Don't take offense.

My experience on KUDU, Eland, GemsBok, and Wildebeest has been they do not perform.

The 2 PH's (I'm now good friends with) laughed when I told them what I was shooting.

The skinners-butchers in SA who clean hundreds of animals a year agreed. But what do they know?

People that do this for a living and the manufacturer disagree with real evidence.

{REMOVED}
Ethics is a taboo subject on this forum so please respect our host and edit.

I'm not a fan of the Amax bullet for hunting but Hornady does in fact recommend them for light, thin skinned game and varmints.

Personally I think the Hornady Interbond and Nosler Accubond are ideal hunting bullets for this application and do not trust the Amax at all for game till you get up to the heavies and I'm not even going to shoot them.

On my trip to Africa I will personally be shooting nothing but Hornady DGX and Nosler Accubonds and perhaps some Accubond LR's but that's another story yet to be written.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENWA View Post

Hopefully, Ethics is not a lost concept on your generation.
Deer and Black Bear at 300-400 yards out, in NO WAY, is the equivalent of shooting a Kudu, Eland, Wildabeast, etc! That is why most of us stay away from elk sized game at close range with these bulltes. Bullet impact velocity has a HUGE amount of effect on performance. I have never been in Africa, let alone hunted African game, but based on my experience with relative size and toughness of an elk, for example, I feel pretty comfortable with my comments concerning 300-400 shots on deer and bear. Personally, I would rather (ethically) shoot an A-max at long range than something like an (A-frame) that might be used in Africa. REMEMBER, this is a long range forum......Rich
Old 01-06-2014, 01:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
Deer and Black Bear at 300-400 yards out, in NO WAY, is the equivalent of shooting a Kudu, Eland, Wildabeast, etc! That is why most of us stay away from elk sized game at close range with these bulltes. Bullet impact velocity has a HUGE amount of effect on performance. I have never been in Africa, let alone hunted African game, but based on my experience with relative size and toughness of an elk, for example, I feel pretty comfortable with my comments concerning 300-400 shots on deer and bear. Personally, I would rather (ethically) shoot an A-max at long range than something like an (A-frame) that might be used in Africa. REMEMBER, this is a long range forum......Rich
Bingo!!!!!!! we have a winner!!!

I agree Rich.

Jeff