Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

??????????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2005, 11:36 AM
Platinum Member

Re: ??????????

I personally think they skewed up when designing the Lapua case. It is one of the only cartridges designed in the last 13 years that has almost as much case taper from head to shoulder as the 22-250! It was made to cycle well through autos (and it does this perfectly) but what does that do for me if I have a bolt action? It only produces more bolt thrust and makes me have to trim and FL size all the time!

Granted, the brass is excellent on weight uniformity, but it still has to have some TLC in other departments.

THe 338 ultra mag on the other hand seems to have better brass than the 300 ultra in my experience. If you go to page six of my 338 thunder project thread, you can see how the weights came out on 150 pieces.

I think the trick is to buy 1 more bag of brass (of the same lot) than what you'll think you need and just segregate by weight. You will probably end up with 20 or so pieces that you can just use for load development or fouling shots.

The 338 edge is certainly something to look at also. Very easy to make the brass (I'm assuming cause I have never made it) as it is just necking up the 300 ultra to 338.

As for the 338 thunder, it will be on the rifle range shortly and we shall see if it will shoot or not. It is a tad shorter than the 338 edge but has a sharper shoulder angle and a longer neck which both things help when shooting heavy bullets. I might be sticking my neck out here, but I will bet I surpass the edge in velocity even though my case capacity is a few grains less. Now, whether it can hit a bus at 100 paces might be a stretch! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:43 AM
Platinum Member

Re: ??????????

[ QUOTE ]
The 338 Ack Imp, I have for sale

[/ QUOTE ]

Bounty, is this a Lapua improved or ultra improved?
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.