Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

960 and 1310 yards w/6.5-284. Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 11:24 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 960 and 1310 yards w/6.5-284. Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentM View Post
I know this is one of the problems with NOT shooting at steel or an actual target. I just don't time right now to spend a day just shooting for drop. I figure if am under 1 MOA right now ON TARGET, I am good to go for a wolf. : )
BINGO! But with all the angles you can in no way tell what 1 moa is from a miss that lands on an angled surface from a bullet coming in at a huge angle. We want to think the bullet is arriving from a line to us. But we know it is coming in from above. Especially a 6.5 at these distances.

If at all possible I would look for a rock wall to shoot at. Or at least a very large rock with a vertical face. Pic an aim point on the face like a crack, moss, white spot etc. Then you can use your moa reticle to measure the error between aim point and impact. Not nearly as good as paper or steel, but better than a target on an angle.

Jeff
Old 10-11-2013, 12:10 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 960 and 1310 yards w/6.5-284. Question

Ok, perfect. I am taking the boys hunting this weekend and will see if I can find a suitable target that I can get to. I will change my approach to this issue as suggested and work on a more scientific solution. Thanks for all the feed back.