Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

The thread is closed

946 yard cow elk pics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2005, 05:53 PM
Silver Member

Re: 946 yard cow elk pics

What kind of muzzle velocity are you getting off of that load?
Old 12-31-2005, 06:48 PM
Gold Member

goodgrouper,

Congratulations to both you and Clint, job well done!
Great story and photos.

Also looking forward to hearing more on the "Thunder" storm. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Regards,

JD338
Old 12-31-2005, 08:04 PM
Platinum Member

With my current slow lot of RL22 that burns more like RL25, this load clocked at 3070 fps last week from my 24" barrel. The last keg of RL22 I bought gave a velo of 3180 with the exact same charge!
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:19 PM
Platinum Member

GG , Clint ,

Cowabunga ! Max Factor ! , Holy mackrel Andy !, and , of course the expletive of choice of my dear friend Bryce White, Dayuuuummmm !!!

Way to go guys , your hunt was a great one even if others intruded on your space .

Come to think of it , they didn't even have an effect on your hunt once you bid them adieu ! Road hunting is a fact of life in all places , as a matter of fact I do it quite often [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] A bull bag laying across the hood and binocs ( expensive ) ready at hand . Here where I hunt it is leased land , not quite the same as your marvelous places to hunt , so , I have options that are ok and do not infringe on the quality of the experience of others .

GG , I think those dudes that pulled up beside you guys were not thinking about the fact that you were there first and that they should really go somewhere else( probably weren't thinking at all [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] ) . Probably they were just thinking it is all free range/ all open to all and so on . Doesn't make them bad , perhaps in need of some social skills instructions , but not bad , and as it turned out it did not have an adverse effect on your hunt .

Which was a GREAT HUNT [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Thanks for the pix and story . I hope you will soon post a similar story re: your cow elk hunt GG.

Congrats Clint , you owe a big steak to the Grouper , so pay up ! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

May the Lord of Light bless you guys and your folks in this coming year,

Jim Brown
Old 12-31-2005, 09:38 PM
Platinum Member

Thank you jimm for your kind words.

I agree with you.

The other hunters didn't really have any effect on our hunt or quality thereof. This unit is prone to road hunting and it can actually be quite productive. But if it were me (and I have come in second or third many times to the best deer stand or duck marsh) my nature dictates that I not sit down on top of anyone else. I would rather go find the second best marsh than take the chance of offending someone that woke up earlier than me.

The company we had that morning actually turned out to be ok guys, they just didn't have the same etiquette as me.

I just found it amusing that Clint and I were standing out in the cold with the spotter and tripod set up trying to find something to hunt, and the other guys wouldn't even get out of their trucks because it was too cold. They tried to spot elk on a mountainside over 1 mile away through their windshield with 8x binos! That is why I don't think they ever saw anything and drove off soon after we hiked off into the woods to kill the elk we saw. Oh well, I hope they found some and got some good meat before the storm rolled in and got really cold.
Pull it
Dump it

Old 12-31-2005, 09:45 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Was it the fickle wind that pushed the bullet right, or was it Clint's excitement?

[/ QUOTE ]

Clint was pretty cool so I don't think it was him. I think it was gyroscopic drift that I underestimated. I told him to only put in 1/2 moa and I should have listened to the computer and put in 1 moa instead. My bad but it all worked out in the end.
Pull it
Dump it

Old 01-01-2006, 05:26 AM
Silver Member

GG,
Thatta way to do it! You guys let em fly from a long ways out. I just wish that I could see 'em that far away.
Brandon