Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

The thread is closed

946 yard cow elk pics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-03-2006, 12:47 PM
Platinum Member
Re: 946 yard cow elk pics

I'm just curious, buy how many times has Clint shot at this distance prior to the hunt? (maybe I missed that in the original post).
Derek M.

Unread 01-03-2006, 06:24 PM
Bronze Member

arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics (even if you win your still retarted) no pun intented, the elk is dead, lets quit beating them in the head
Unread 01-03-2006, 06:31 PM
Platinum Member

stripes, I haven't argued with anyone and certainly haven't beat anyone in the head. I was just asking about rangetime before making such a remarkable shot. I also don't really care to be classified as "retarded."

Am I asking too much?
Derek M.
Unread 01-03-2006, 07:17 PM
Platinum Member

Lablover it was the opening part of MY response that sounded rude so I removed it.

I don't care if Christ himself says it's OK to shoot bedded animals. It's just something I don't do.

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem there. It seemed to me that you were unfamiliar with others doing it and why. I just wanted to offer another persons input on the subject. Someone with more experience than 99% of the members here.

The LR game. Son, I have been doing the long range game for quite some time. Different game ya see!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm unfamiliar with the extent of your experience. I tried to offer the suggestion in as friendly a way as I could.

As far as the advice. I have read and learned quite a bit thank you. Thanks for the advice but I'll pass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto my last answer.

And 4ked horn, not sure what you meant by meeting me in another post????

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant goodbye from this topic. I'll see ya later. I'm still trying to be nice. Well wishes on future interactions. Via con Dios amigo. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

I hope you have a great day as well!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. I will.
GRAVITY. It's not just a good idea. It's the LAW!
Unread 01-03-2006, 07:37 PM
Silver Member

If GG's statemant is correct Clint had not shot or killed anything beyond 400 yards.

Somethin i still don't understand with your thinking GG.

You said the computer said to put 1moa on but you told clint to put on 1/2moa. Then you said you goofed and should have put the full minute on.Don't know if i am understanding this or my math is off. 1/2moa at 946 is roughly 4.5". 1 moa would be 9.46". How can you say you should of put the other 1/2moa on when you were 2-3 FEET off. Shouldn't it have been more like 3moa??
Unread 01-03-2006, 09:47 PM
Gold Member

4ked Horn,
nicely done, you have better control of your emotions than I
It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
Unread 01-03-2006, 11:10 PM
Silver Member

I couldn't take it any longer and had to chime in (for better or worse).

Re: All the critics!!

After the fire storm that was kicked off from GG's post, I'll probably be very hesitant to post any hunting results or experiences that are less than perfect!! And even then someone will still probably find something wrong! Clint may never post anything here, and I wouldn't blame him! It was nice (NOT) how some people just ASSumed that Clint didn't have the experience or expertise to take the shot and that the rifle wasn't up to the task. What do they know about Clint? Do they know how skilled he is or how much he shoots? Have they shot the rifle before? Who said that factory rifles can't be shooters anyway? One of mine is (only one), and I'd put it up against a custom rig any day. So what if this was his first LR kill, everyone who has or will make a LR kill will have a first.

There is alot to be learned from these 'less than perfect' hunts. But then IMHO all's well that ends well and in my book GG and Clint's hunt was close to perfection (The animal was killed relatively quickly, it was recovered and is not rotting somewhere on the hillside, and someone is enjoying its delicious, healthy, and lean meat).

Furthermore, I can see why debating the ethics of long range hunting are discouraged/prohibited on this forum...because nearly everyone's ethics differ, disagreements and differences of opinion are inevitable, and the debate/criticism of LRH related ethics makes some people (like me) feel uncomfortable about sharing experiences and information, thus stiffling the free flow of information, which IMO is what this site is all about. There are plenty of places (other forums) to discuss the various ethics involved in LRH, that this forum isn't devoted to these discussions is what makes it unique and special IMHO.

On a side note, I consider myself a true sustinence hunter (and predator) despite my financial circumstances. WHY?

Because my hobby/passion has some financial upside, even if the delicious wild meat doesn't pay for it's self (how well does that work for golf?)

I really enjoy hunting, havesting, butchering, and preparing my own food. For me that is a great part of the hunting experience (it goes well beyond sport hunting for me). I'm not just a spectator of the natural food chain, but a participant.

I'd already have spent the money on the shooting equipment for the enjoyment of target shooting.

I prefer wild meat (including Mt Lion and Bear) to beef and other store purchased meats and last time I checked they didn't sell venison, elk, antelope, bear, or Mt. lion at my local grocery store. So to partake of these healthy and tasty meats, hunting and harvesting are a necessity for me.

Thanks GG for the post, I really enjoyed it. Good ending to a good hunt.

One last note:

I think that Lablovers comments on shooting bedded animals were unnecessary, didn't contribute in any good way to the topic, and only served to cause contention. Plus, I think his daddy is wrong (sorry about that, I couldn't resist).

And that's about all I have to say about that.
The thread is closed