Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

820 Yard cow elk pics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2005, 06:54 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 820 Yard cow elk pics

Goodgrouper,

Congrats on a <font color="blue"> great </font> shot. Makes me jealous. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-27-2005, 07:43 PM
Bronze Member

Nice shooting Goodgrouper! How about a few more shots of that scenery in the background? What a beautiful place.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:23 PM
Silver Member

Man I just love to see the real world in action! I to have found RL-22 to be a great powder for the overbore 30's. Great pics. I would love to see your trophy room pics of that cow pacted in your frezzer! Nothing tastes as good as elk! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-27-2005, 10:36 PM
Bronze Member

Great shot and pictures. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] While bullet performance was near perfect in your shot, I wonder what would happen with the same bullet and shot on a big 6 point @ 100 yards? I don't mean to infer there's anything wrong with your bullet choice, but rather pose an academic question about bullet performance.

Something I'd like to hear as a new-comer to this board is how you knew to adjust 14 minutes of angle.

Also as an Elk hunter, if you'd like to take the time to explain it, would you explain how you chose your location to hunt. From the look of the country I'm guessing you took a high spot over looking a large area you knew held game. This is a technique I sometimes use here in BC.

Good article.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:12 AM

Goodgrouper: Nice shot and beautiful pictures...thanks for to share your successes with us.
Regards
Niet
Old 01-28-2005, 12:22 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks everyone for your responses today. I am trying to sit up straight to type, but my sore body aches from packing out all that meat!

Al Remkin,
Pop over to bullets,barrels, and ballistics and read my post on the topic about velocities needed to open up a Nosler Accubond and Partition. Those Accubonds work long and near!

After chronographing my load and sighting in my rifle, I entered all the data from the load and conditions into a ballistic program. It then spit out a drop chart in MOA, and I clicked in the 14 minutes it said to go and shot. Experience and practice shooting long range did the rest!

My hunting technique was nothing too elaborate. I really wanted to take a 1000 yard shot, but I told myself that 800 yards plus would be ok too. So I glassed the area over and over and found the general area where the elk hung out throughout the week. Then I looked at possible places I could get the long shot I wanted. I marked a few areas on my map that would make good shooting "benches" overlooking big areas. When we found the right herd about 2 miles away, and hiked up to get 1000 yards away from them. But, the lay of the land would not permit a shot that far from our angle. So we went up the highest peak above the elk and set up for the shot. There was about 100 elk in the vicinity, but only five were far enough away to make my minimum 800 yard shot. The rest of the story is history.

As for more pics, I will try to find time in the next few days to put some more pics of the hunt on here.
--Goodgrouper
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:12 AM
Silver Member

awesome post! i wish i had your soreness from packing out meat! mine comes from an hour of cardiokickboxing then an hour of tae kwon do.i have that same scope and will be carrying a nickle when i get gun back from (50).