Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

810Y one-shot kill Lazz WARBIRD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2013, 08:16 AM
Silver Member

Re: 810Y one-shot kill Lazz WARBIRD

I am also looking real close at the 210gr JLK ,,,,,,
Old 10-19-2013, 10:01 AM
Platinum Member

It would be really nice to see some heavy for cal high BC bullets tuned up in a Lazz, in one Lazz post a Warbird with a 200 gr SPBT at 3250 was thought to be a good combo but honestly at a 1000 yards a 300 Win mag with a 215 Berger in the 3000 fps will be out performing it.
Bullet and powder technology has really allowed us to increase the performance and range, any more a chambering of the caliber of the Warbird I as a long range hunter would be looking at it as a 1000+ yard rifle and it's capability with a bullet like the Berger 230 OTM.
A 150gr bullet going ultra fast is of little to no interest but a 230 at 3000+ fps with excellent accuracy in the Lazz package, that will turn some heads around here!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 10-19-2013, 10:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
It would be really nice to see some heavy for cal high BC bullets tuned up in a Lazz, in one Lazz post a Warbird with a 200 gr SPBT at 3250 was thought to be a good combo but honestly at a 1000 yards a 300 Win mag with a 215 Berger in the 3000 fps will be out performing it.
Bullet and powder technology has really allowed us to increase the performance and range, any more a chambering of the caliber of the Warbird I as a long range hunter would be looking at it as a 1000+ yard rifle and it's capability with a bullet like the Berger 230 OTM.
A 150gr bullet going ultra fast is of little to no interest but a 230 at 3000+ fps with excellent accuracy in the Lazz package, that will turn some heads around here!!
A huge + 1

Jeff
Old 10-19-2013, 10:26 AM
Silver Member

Many good combos out there to try I am sure with .308" bullets in the 200-240gr weight range ,,,,,

MOST important of all, is which ones will turn in the best ACCURACY at 1,000 yards ,,,,, because without that, all of the other fancy ballistic numbers are just that, fancy ballistic numbers ,,,,,,

and this brings up another important question ,,,,,,,,

HOW MANY shooters on this forum, have a rifle chambered in the Lazz Warbird caliber, with a 10 or 9.5 twist barrel ? as that is where the ammo sales would come from, if I did in fact offer a factory load with a 200gr+ VLD type bullet ,,,,
Old 10-19-2013, 11:09 AM
Gold Member

I doubt it's the chambering that's holding many back but rather the quality or should I say perceived quality of the brass. At the asking price, just about anybody would expect the highest quality, most consistent tolerances and many reloads. For a person who wants to shoot a lot, that's a huge factor.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 338 View Post
I doubt it's the chambering that's holding many back but rather the quality or should I say perceived quality of the brass. At the asking price, just about anybody would expect the highest quality, most consistent tolerances and many reloads. For a person who wants to shoot a lot, that's a huge factor.
Bingo... if you go to Midway and read the reviews on Warbird brass, the bad ones out number the good ones by 2 to 1. I'm not trying to flame, just stating the facts. If it were me trying to manufacture and market the Warbird, I would do everything I could to turn that perception around. I have heard the newer Hornady made brass is better than the origianl brass. If it's as good as my Hornady made 300 Dakota brass, then it is good stuff, not as good as Lapua, but good enough. I might even consider contracting Bertram to make it, like Shawn did with the EDGE. That would be on par with Lapua brass.

I would hesitate to offer J4 jacketed bullets as a commercial hunting round in a Warbird chambering. Although the 210 JLK or Berger would make excellent long range hunting bullets, I could see potential short range high velocity wrecks. There will no doubt be guys buying it that don't understand the parameters of those bullets. I am even a little hesitant of shooting a 230 Hybrid with thicker jacket out of the smaller 300 RUM at shorter distances where impact velocities would be greater than 3000 fps.

I would offer good load info for that combo as well as and especially the 230 gr bullets. Although the heavy Hybrids are good hunting bullets, the bullet maker has labeled them as "target" bullets, not recommended for hunting. So that puts the ammo maker in a bad position to offer such a combo as a hunting round.

Although I like the VLD's better, probably the 2 best all around short to long range hunting bullets best suited for "commercial" sales in the Warbird chambering would be the 200 gr Accubond and the 210 ABLR. They stabize in an 11 twist. One could offer the 230 Hybrids as a "general long range shooting round". I would do some short range high velocity testing with 210 ABLR before marketing that in a Warbird chamber.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 10-19-2013, 01:19 PM
Silver Member

I would.....

I would.....

I would.....

I would.....

Why doncha'?