Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

800yd oregon blacktail. pics...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2010, 12:56 AM
Gold Member

800yd oregon blacktail. pics...

well, I finally got a big blacktail. i have wanted to get one of these guys for a long time but as anyone knows who has hunted them, they are few and far between.

long story short, public land, general tag. glassed this buck up in a clear cut, and had perfect conditions for shooting that morning. no wind at all.

I had already entered all my info into my ballistic program just before light from my kestrel. as soon as we spotted him we knew he was a shooter, and i handed the swaro rangefinder to my buddy and had him range him over and over calling out the range each time while i entered range and angle to my drop chart.

by the time i was ready for the shot(matter of seconds) i had already started to shake a little. I have never had a chance at a buck this big! so i calmed myself down and started to press the trigger.

he had just got out of his bed and was just standing there enjoying a few bites to eat when the 185gr VLD from my custom 300RUM caught him exactly where i held. entering just behind the front shoulder, and exiting just in front of the offside shoulder.

by the time i could get another round in the chamber, just in case, my buddy on the spotter said he was down.

Old 10-16-2010, 01:22 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 800yd oregon blacktail. pics...

That is a very nice blacktail. Good shooting and congratulations!

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 10-16-2010, 03:14 AM
Gold Member

Beautiful animal, great shot and excellent preparation. Well done!

Stu.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:50 AM
Gold Member

Well done! Well done!
Old 10-16-2010, 07:06 AM
Platinum Member

Thats a PIIIGGGG of s blacktail!!!
.........and I had just made up my mind that blacktail were fairytale deer. Nothing more than mythical, imaginary creatures that people tell stories about in order to FRUSTERATE hard working hunters.......... Man, you ruined it for me! I had just sworn NEVER again would I waste my time on immaginary deer............ and there you go proving me wrong......... REALY WRONG by the looks of it...........
VERY NICELY DONE. Great trophy!

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 10-16-2010, 08:43 AM
Platinum Member

lovdasnow -great shot and deer !
Old 10-16-2010, 08:58 AM
Gold Member

thanks a lot guys!
thanks to learning from this site and all the great people on here over the years i was able to make it happen.

i still can't believe it. I have to check the pictures when i wake up to make sure it wasn't a dream. because I too, was starting to believe deer like that were fairy tales as well

thanks again