Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

8 MAG "THUNDERSTRUCK" project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2009, 09:49 PM
Gold Member

8 MAG "THUNDERSTRUCK" project

Finally got my g5 B&C stock,fit is PERFECT,drop in,the bedding block is outstanding,the adjustable front rail/sling stud is really neat.Waiting on my Badger bolt knob,1 piece rail and extended mag to arive on the 26th and it will be complete...for now....hope to have Kirby put the finishing touch on her this summer.Sticking with the AC?DC run I started with "Dirty Deeds" I named this old 8 mag that my father carried all over the world "Thunderstruck",it has killed most of the African antelope,griz in Alaska and Russia,countless Bull elk,a pile of big muleys,black bears and my best buck,hope to make my first 1000 yard kill with it ASAP!

Last edited by NONYA; 02-26-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:00 PM
Silver Member

Re: 8 MAG "THUNDERSTRUCK" project

NONYA,

Do you think that I can borrow the Thunderstruck name? That is what I was going to call my 338 AM when it gets here. Hopefully in a couple of weeks.
Great looking rifle.

Chris
Old 02-24-2009, 10:06 PM
Gold Member

Since we both come from a town with the same exact name why not?

Old 02-24-2009, 11:27 PM
Platinum Member

Nonya,
What are you using for bullets? What kind of distance and BC are you getting? I always eyed up the 8mm but never really looked into it.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 02-24-2009, 11:53 PM
Gold Member

180 grain TSX for the field,180 gr accubond for varmints and paper/steel,probably use the Noslers for anything over 500 yards,should be slowed down enough by then to make them perform as advertised.80 grains of IMR 4350 puts it just over 3200 fps.I may experiment with some RL22,never use it before but I like the idea of getting up near 3300 fps.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:21 AM
Platinum Member

Nice looking rifle!! What are you using for optics??

I think the AB will work aways inside 500 yards, just to pass some money saving ideas along your way. Those Barnes are waaaaaaaay overpriced, waaaaaaaaaay over-hyped and about as worthless as tits on a boar IMO.

The AB has a maximum impact velocity rating of what, 3000fps?? If you start out at 3200fps, I can almost bet by the time you get to 100 yards, your velocity will be at 3000fps, or maybe slightly under which would make them work as "advertised" from about 100 yards on out.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:38 AM
Platinum Member

Boy, it would be nice to see somebody develop a nice bullet for the 8mm. I bet mounted a top a necked down Lapua case or 300 Rum case, it would be a hard hitter at long distance.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!