Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Are 8-inch boots tall enough?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 09:01 PM
Silver Member

Are 8-inch boots tall enough?

I'm working up my courage to buy some really good Oct-Nov Idaho-Montana hunting boots and I've spun out. The last two pair of boots I've worn are uninsulated Danner Pronghorns. They've been adequate but after wearing out two pairs in 4 years I'm thinking I might be justified in buying a more expensive pair if I can get more life out of them. I've shopped the hound out of boots and like the Hanwags and the Lowas the best.

The trouble with both is that all of their boots, save their very tank like insulated versions, is that they're all only 8-inches tall. I've always worn 10-inch boots and now am concerned that my boots are going to fill up with snow. I know that many of these boots are supposed to be great for elk and sheep hunting but would like a little more confidence that I'm not going to wind up cold, wet, miserable, and BROKE!

Does anyone use 8-inch boots in snow and find them to be acceptable? I know I could get some gaiters but their another $50 and I've never worn them before so I'm not sure that I would like them even if I do fork out the $$$'s for them.

Any hints, help, or experience?

Cross
Old 06-01-2011, 10:42 PM
Gold Member

Re: Are 8-inch boots tall enough?

[QUOTE=cross;512588
Does anyone use 8-inch boots in snow and find them to be acceptable? I know I could get some gaiters but their another $50 and I've never worn them before so I'm not sure that I would like them even if I do fork out the $$$'s for them.
Any hints, help, or experience?
Cross[/QUOTE]

Couple of comments coming from a guy that can't find a pair of boots that fit him - 13A on rt foot and 12-1/2B on left foot.

Don't count gaiters out - they flat out work and if you buy a good pair they not only keep the snow out of your boots they keep your lower pant leg clean and dry, take 'em off if you want and put them in your pack

Buy what fits you - by the way Danner's quality and durability has slipped drastically over the years and I found the last pair to be totally unacceptable and will buy no more.

Bottom line is: If a 10" boot keeps the snow out, why won't an 8". I like 6" boots for their flexibility but then again I carry gaters for when I need them.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:55 PM
Platinum Member

My boots most are 8'', have some Danner elk hunters 10''. I use a good quality outdoor research-OR gaiter. I was in them this week bear hunting w/snow shoes, late season I have them on everyday. In a pinch I duct tape pants to boots, do this if I am in my rivers west and skip gaiters.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:55 PM
Silver Member

Are 8" tall enough? YES... Are they ideal? that is a FORD and CHEVY question. I personally rely on the Mendeil Canadian Hunters (10" 200 Gr. thinsulate) and I rely on these boots from hunting season all the way through trapping season. AWESOME BOOTS!! Kennetrek makes a great boot as well as the companies you mentioned, and all of them will outlast Danners. But even with 10" i don't leave the gaiters at home!
Old 06-01-2011, 11:07 PM
Platinum Member

Get the8 inch boots if that's what you like and a quality pair of gaiters. Good gaiters will last years.

I use the Danner Rainforest when it's cold but little snow. I switch to pac's (Sorel Caribou) with gaiters when it gets icy or the snow gets heavy.

One word of caution about the Danner boots. They have changed the rubber or something in the soles and it's way too hard. Works great when things are dry but when things get icy they just won't grip like they used too. Have really noticed it with this last pair. Other than that it's a good boot in the mountains.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 06-02-2011, 12:07 AM

Just throwing my 2 cents in on this but if you have a good pair of gators they do wonders. I wear mostly asolo morans and had a pair of their fugitive gtx's they were extremely well made pair of boots better then any danners I've owned.
The downside to them is that they only come up past the ankle 4 inches luckily my unit issues out gators made by outdoor reasearch and those combined with asolo's made them the best all around footwear I've ever had.

So my advice get a pair of boots that are comfortable, protect your ankles and offer good traction then use gators if you need too.

Happy hunting
Old 06-02-2011, 02:43 AM

I've worn Danners' for probably the last 15 years and I always thought they were the end all, be all boots. That is until I switched over to Kennetrek. I wear the both the mountain extreme and the Alaskan Guide models depending on where I am hunting.

Boots are like optics, buy the very best you can afford and not look back!