Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

8.59 Titan Lazzeroni

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 11:40 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 8.59 Titan Lazzeroni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo 4 View Post
Something I've noticed about Lazzeroni, from what I can tell you don't sponsor a hunting show. In today's world of everybody & their brother has a hunting show, anybody who's anybody sponsors one. John, are you feeling left out? Cause I sure am!
Tell ya what, I'll go prancing around the country (planet?) "harvesting" big game with your 8.59 Titan...and you front the bill.
That would definitely have to be a two man job!
Old 11-28-2011, 09:35 AM
Silver Member

I have nothing against those hunting shows, in fact some of them are very well done ,,,,,

However, I resist them for Lazzeroni on a personal level ,,,,,,

Hunting and the taking of our precious game animals should not be promoted to such a commercial level that it becomes like a video game ,,,, and certainly not by those guys that are REAL ""legends-in-their-own-mind”” types ,,,,, (((you know the ones I am talking about))) ,,,,

when the day comes that the common man cannot go buy his hunting license every year, and just go hunting, without needing a guide or high priced access fees, then we will ALL lose our hunting privileges ,,,,,,
Old 11-28-2011, 10:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazzInc View Post
you also seem to be into this ballistics stuff ,,,, so please run the numbers and compare the Lazzeroni Titan, shooting our factory loaded 185gr LazerHead load, 3,580 fps with a bullet BC of .437, to the 338 Lapua, shooting it’s best 300gr VLD load, in time of flight, and total drop from bore line, to 1,000 yards ,,,,,, might surprise you ,,,,
I punched the numbers in for my .338 EDGE load with a 300gr SMK (what I call a poor man's Lapua) and compaired it to the load you posted. I was surprised: your load has .1 second TOF and 5 moa of drop advantage. However, my rifle starting off over 700 fps slower still has over 2 moa advantage on wind, almost 200 fps more velocity, and almost double the ft lbs of energy.
My point is NOT to undermind your cartridge, but to point out that velocity isn't everthing. At long range BC will win every time. If that Titan of yours was loaded with one of the high BC 300 grainers it wouldn't be a compairison! Trust me, I know that velocity sells as I used to buy into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
That would definitely have to be a two man job!
I could use a side kick!

Quote:
I have nothing against those hunting shows, in fact some of them are very well done ,,,,,

However, I resist them for Lazzeroni on a personal level ,,,,,,

Hunting and the taking of our precious game animals should not be promoted to such a commercial level that it becomes like a video game ,,,, and certainly not by those guys that are REAL ""legends-in-their-own-mind”” types ,,,,, (((you know the ones I am talking about))) ,,,,

when the day comes that the common man cannot go buy his hunting license every year, and just go hunting, without needing a guide or high priced access fees, then we will ALL lose our hunting privileges ,,,,,,
I like your response and agree. I was really just kidding.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:27 AM
Silver Member

Bravo4 ,,,,,

The Titan's advantage is ever greater at 500 yards, which is the maximum range that MOST game animals are taken at ,,,,,,

with the Lazzeroni Titan 185gr Lazerhead load, at that distance, it will perform much better on the animal, than your 300gr bullet, with massive tissue damage and retain 95%+ of its weight as it exits the animal ,,,,,,

those 300gr VLD bullets tend to either pass thru the animal without causing significant damage OR break up completely on a shoulder, and can cause the animal to be badly wounded and still get away ,,,,,,,

in addition, with the flatter trajectory to the target using the Lazzeroni Titan, minor mistakes in hold or range estimation are not near as pronounced as they are with the big-slow 300gr bullets ,,,,,,

always remember that the Lazzeroni rifles, calibers and factory loads are specialized HUNTING tools ,,,, designed specifically to take game animals, humanely with one shot, whether at 50 yards or 700 ,,,,

makes no difference at all to me how they do with VLD target bullets at 1,000 yards ,,,,
Old 11-28-2011, 02:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Bravo4 ,,,,,

The Titan's advantage is ever greater at 500 yards, which is the maximum range that MOST game animals are taken at ,,,,,,
Yes Sir, absolutely- hands down-no questions asked, but you said run the numbers to 1000.

with the Lazzeroni Titan 185gr Lazerhead load, at that distance, it will perform much better on the animal, than your 300gr bullet, with massive tissue damage and retain 95%+ of its weight as it exits the animal ,,,,,,

those 300gr VLD bullets tend to either pass thru the animal without causing significant damage OR break up completely on a shoulder, and can cause the animal to be badly wounded and still get away ,,,,,,,
I have had the exact oposite experiences with the 300 gr SMK. I have shot deer from 450 yards to over 3x's that far, and an elk at 1/2 a mile...it is devastating on game. I couldn't imagine a round smaller then a 750 Amax doing more damage then what I've experienced.
Not so much with the smaller caliber SMK.

in addition, with the flatter trajectory to the target using the Lazzeroni Titan, minor mistakes in hold or range estimation are not near as pronounced as they are with the big-slow 300gr bullets ,,,,,,
Yep. However, at this range and beyond is where the higher BC projectiles start to show their stuff in the wind. Your biggest variable.

always remember that the Lazzeroni rifles, calibers and factory loads are specialized HUNTING tools ,,,, designed specifically to take game animals, humanely with one shot, whether at 50 yards or 700 ,,,,
I think of my .338 the same way...except for maybe the 50 yards part.

makes no difference at all to me how they do with VLD target bullets at 1,000 yards ,,,,
I believe you. Not to be rude but you make that pretty obvious by the selection of bullets you load. LR hunting isn't for everybody, but I have the feeling most guys on this site would like to see what they would do at 1000.

I hope you take this debate as a friendly conversation and not me picking at you.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:57 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Most of us here are not interested in hyper velocity with light for caliber bullets. It may have been important 20 years ago before the availability of economical range finders but now it is all about wind drift. The 185 is seriously lacking compared to the heavier pills in the windage department. Range estimation errors are by all rights, a thing of the past. We (I say we, meaning longrange hunters/shooters) are intersted in downrange energy and as minimal windage as possible. Wind drift errors are one of (if not the) the most common for LR misses. High BC bullets (even at a reduced velocity) outshine light, fast bullets to help cut down on wind estimation errors. In many cases VERY dramatically.

If you are selling these based on the thought that these are 500 or less yard rifles, then great. If you want to appeal to the longrange crowd (500 yards is not really that long a range) you will need twist rates and ammunition that will lend themselves to longrange hunting applications. You have a fine product, it just need some updating. The consumer world and consumer needs changes constantly.

This is just very constructive, honest, objective criticizm. Take it or leave it.

My answer to this is. The only reason is to make the 7 RM look good. There is no other reason.

Jeff.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:07 PM
Platinum Member

Oh boy...here we go. Been there (here), done that.

Slower, truly high BC bullets always win in energy and wind deflection at truly long ranges. Run the numbers. This is considered a basic tenet of long range hunting. Not being disrespectful, just have seen this discussion many times and it always ends the same. Shot a few critters relying on it and it's worked very well.

The guys that know here will preach this from experience. This debate has been had 1000x on this site (every time someone new comes) in the years I've been here and the numbers haven't lied yet.

And, yes, select SMK's (lrh'ers know which ones) and Bergers usually work very well.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl