Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

7wsm dead?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2011, 04:57 PM
Silver Member

7wsm dead?

is the 7mm wsm DEAD?

Winchester's own caliber isnt being offered in their new rifles! WTF!

I was set on getting a .270wsm but someone brought to my attention how great the 7mm wsm was and i was really excited about purchasing one! well... now i cant FIND ONE!!! if winchester stops producing firearms then browning stops..then the other handful of manufactures stops producing this caliber... WHAT WILL I DO! im too poor for a custom build... college kid can barely afford ramen noodles! lol
Old 01-23-2011, 05:40 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7wsm dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootkittens View Post
is the 7mm wsm DEAD?

Winchester's own caliber isnt being offered in their new rifles! WTF!

I was set on getting a .270wsm but someone brought to my attention how great the 7mm wsm was and i was really excited about purchasing one! well... now i cant FIND ONE!!! if winchester stops producing firearms then browning stops..then the other handful of manufactures stops producing this caliber... WHAT WILL I DO! im too poor for a custom build... college kid can barely afford ramen noodles! lol
Call Savage and order one. They'll make it for you.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-23-2011, 05:44 PM
Silver Member

im about too! my only worries are... ammo. If they stop producing the firearms.. will they stop porducing the ammo. I look to handload for the most part, but i dont want to have to search across the world for 7mm wsm brass. Winchester was going to be the first place i looked for the brass! Why the hell is that caliber dying! I thought it was pretty popular?!
Old 01-23-2011, 05:49 PM
Platinum Member

The 270 and 300 WSM are kind of trumping it. It is a good caliber. I wouldn't worry about brass supply. As long as there is 270 and 300 WSM brass, you can make 7mm WSM brass. As far as Winchester brass, stay away from it. Buy some Norma or Remmy 300WSM brass. It suppose to hold up better. In my 300WSM I could only get three productive loads from the brass before it went to crap.

Tank
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-23-2011, 05:55 PM
Silver Member

that is true! I forgot about that! I appreciate it man. My buddy has a savage and I really like it. I just didnt want to get the 7mm if the amo was going to disappear!
Old 01-23-2011, 05:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootkittens View Post
that is true! I forgot about that! I appreciate it man. My buddy has a savage and I really like it. I just didnt want to get the 7mm if the amo was going to disappear!
Always got the 7mmRM! It is just as capable if not more so. You can form Lapua brass for it out of the 300WM brass.

Tank

Old 01-23-2011, 06:20 PM
Gold Member

Don't buy federal 300wsm brass either. I ordered a package of 50 for my savage and 10% had laminations in the necks. Not to mention the primer pockets were looser when they where new than my Remington 300rum brass after 5 loads.