Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

7SAUM Shooters- Question on necking 300 brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 12:55 AM
Silver Member

7SAUM Shooters- Question on necking 300 brass

Hello

I have a 7saum. Started reloading for it, factory 7saum remington brass will chamber. I have some nosler 300 brass and a batch of 300 norma brass. Both have been full length resized in a RCBS full length resizer.

Neither batch will really chamber, I can force some to chamber, basically leaves a nice extractor mark on the rim. I'm guessing I'm not setting shoulder back enough. But what is even more confusing is the neck juction on the 7saum is listed at 1.724 The neck junction on the 300saum is 1.7035,,,,,,,,,am I missing something?

For some background this is a tight chambered rifle, match reamer.

Any others have any issues? Come up with any solutions? I don't know of any changes I can make to my FL die, Full length is full length, or is there an option here?

I'd like to use better brass than factory rem, and don't really want to pay the 2.50 or so for 7saum nosler brass, even if I can find it.

Thanks for any advice
Old 04-02-2013, 02:44 AM
Silver Member

Re: 7SAUM Shooters- Question on necking 300 brass

Well, figured out the cause of the issue, took the ejector our, put a piece of sized 300 square to bolt, snapped over the extractor, feeds fine. One I researched the 300 has a smaller neck juction dimesion, I kind of figured something else was up

With ejector in the brass I get to chamber have a heavy etractor mark on them. So the issue is the 300 brass is binding somehow with the extractor

Its a sako style extractor,

Any thoughts, or similar experiences?