Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

7mm08

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2013, 09:57 PM
Silver Member

Re: 7mm08

I agree with the previous reply. I spent this whole year in preparation for hunting season. I shot a bunch of rounds to get to know my 7RM. I developed my load, tested it on paper, at various distances, confirmed my drop data, and got confortable up to 890 yards. I tried shooting at 1000 and I wasn't able to hit consistently at that distance. So I limit my self to 850 yards.

I really encourage the OP to shoot your load and test the capability of your rifle, your load and specially your shooting skills.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhooper View Post
Just calls it like I sees it brother. Long range shooting is for the few that know what they are doing. I am not necessarily one of them, because I do not necessarily believe in it. If you can do it, then more power to you, but I am not going to encourage someone that obviously has no clue what they are doing.

Long range shooting is a progression of learning what firearms, bullets and loaded ammo are capable of-not for someone that is clueless. It is fine for paper, but animals deserve better than un-educated rookies.

Nuff said.
I hear ya! There's no short cut in the learning process; MUST put in the time and effort it takes to make the shot ... on and off the range ... practice, practice, practice ...
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
7mm08-thumbs-up-sign-thumb8413541_zps85645168.jpg  

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Just calls it like I sees it brother. Long range shooting is for the few that know what they are doing. I am not necessarily one of them, because I do not necessarily believe in it. If you can do it, then more power to you, but I am not going to encourage someone that obviously has no clue what they are doing.

Long range shooting is a progression of learning what firearms, bullets and loaded ammo are capable of-not for someone that is clueless. It is fine for paper, but animals deserve better than un-educated rookies.

Nuff said.
Do you not believe in IT, or have you not the experience? Those are 2 very different things... I believe not everyone possesses the skillset to shoot 500+ yards, and I will NEVER fault a man for not being able to. But if you want something really bad, you will try your damndest to make it happen. And as long as you gave it an honest chance, and are honest about things, then nobody should be able to fault you for trying.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilmillan1 View Post
I agree with the previous reply. I spent this whole year in preparation for hunting season. I shot a bunch of rounds to get to know my 7RM. I developed my load, tested it on paper, at various distances, confirmed my drop data, and got confortable up to 890 yards. I tried shooting at 1000 and I wasn't able to hit consistently at that distance. So I limit my self to 850 yards.

I really encourage the OP to shoot your load and test the capability of your rifle, your load and specially your shooting skills.
Perfect example! He knows his limitations for right now. I hope he sees the 1K gong soon! He's honest about it. He's proficient to 890, but backed himself off to 850. I would shoot beside this man anyday. From what I can tell, he's honest and knows what he's doing.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Do you not believe in IT, or have you not the experience? Those are 2 very different things... I believe not everyone possesses the skillset to shoot 500+ yards, and I will NEVER fault a man for not being able to. But if you want something really bad, you will try your damndest to make it happen. And as long as you gave it an honest chance, and are honest about things, then nobody should be able to fault you for trying.

I have the ability, but I believe the long range stuff is making hunting into just SHOOTING. It is no longer a game of beating an animal at his own game. Shooting 500-1000 yards takes target skill-not hunting skill. There is too much room for error at that range to be poking bullets out there.

I know of one well-known hunting crew that lost a lease after the landowner started finding bull elk laying around with holes in them from the long range "hunters".

I realize that this site is for long range hunting, but it seems like ethics are being overshadowed by the desire to see how far away someone can punch a hole in an animal.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:41 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
...this site is for long range hunting...
Precisely...

-The flexibility of your adaptability is the true measure of your intelligence-
Old 12-27-2013, 10:42 AM
Silver Member

Sorry OP, I think this one got away from you.

-The flexibility of your adaptability is the true measure of your intelligence-