Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

7mm WSM Winchester Coyote

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2010, 09:18 AM

7mm WSM Winchester Coyote

My job take me around visiting gun shops around Europe.
Last friday I found a Winchester 70 Coyote in 7mm WSM at a bargain price and I'm in love with it.
Steinless steel half varmint contour barrel, blued action, laminated varmint style stock. All the essentials are there.
I don't know the 7 WSM, but I presume it will be not too hard to have it shooting in the right way.
Somebody can give me some indication about on what to do to in order to have it ready to shoot?
What is the maximum bullet weight with that rifling? I presume a bedding job is mandatory, but I will test it before doing it. Never knows...
Suggested loads for this kind of rifle?
Old 10-05-2010, 09:19 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm WSM Winchester Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by almorgan View Post
My job take me around visiting gun shops around Europe.
Last friday I found a Winchester 70 Coyote in 7mm WSM at a bargain price and I'm in love with it.
Steinless steel half varmint contour barrel, blued action, laminated varmint style stock. All the essentials are there.
I don't know the 7 WSM, but I presume it will be not too hard to have it shooting in the right way.
Somebody can give me some indication about on what to do to in order to have it ready to shoot?
What is the maximum bullet weight with that rifling? I presume a bedding job is mandatory, but I will test it before doing it. Never knows...
Suggested loads for this kind of rifle?

Sounds like a nice rifle. As far as bullet, it is a matter of finding what your rifle likes. 160 and heavier are great bullets for shooting long range in a 7mm caliber. Most guys seem to favor 160 Accu Bonds for short range, and 162 A-max or 168 Berger past 300yrds. A bedding job and trigger adjustment will do wonders for accuracy. Good optics are also a necessity.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 10-05-2010, 09:52 AM
Platinum Member

The Coyote is a potential L/R ready rifle. If it shoots good your ready. Most all of the Model-70 Coyotes Ive seen and dealt with were sub moa by far with handloads. My best groups with my cousins (in 270wsm/140 Accubond) was two 3 shot groups just under 1/4 inch and 1 group over .3. granted they were only 3 shot groups (and these are my best ever groups with any rifle to date), but that I was blown away by its accuracy. Ive seen many of them shoot 3/4 moa right out of the box with factory ammo.
Mphstigerfan has a Coyote also, but in 300wsm, and its a 1/2 moa rifle with Bergers. I havent talked to anyone that personally owned one that wasnt happy with how they shot.
You got a nice rifle. They are a dream to shoot. But be prepared, theyre SO HEAVY compared to Most factory rifles, but it (Coyote) shoots better. Work up some loads and get familiar with it. They tend to be great shooters as is.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"

Last edited by winmag; 10-05-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:00 AM

Thank you very much for your answers.
My account is lighter and a new rifle stays in the safe.
I'll keep you informed on how it shot.