Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

7mm WSM or 7mm rem mag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-21-2008, 01:13 PM
Silver Member
Here are the said rifles-

7WSM is the tan stocked rifle in the back-

300WSM is all black rifle in the back-

Unread 07-21-2008, 10:21 PM
Gold Member
There is absolutely no scientific evidence that a round that headspaces on the shoulder is/will be more accurate than a rifle that headspaces on the belt. Sure some cartridges are inherently more accurate but almost any good gunsmith can make pretty much any caliber shoot. The thing with the rm is the fill ratio is outstanding with slower powders and will out perform with heavier bullets as I have witnessed. Is it lot? absolutely not! Which one would I pick? The RM as there is better brass and availbility. What benchrest shooters are shooting is irrelevant.
Unread 07-21-2008, 10:59 PM
Bronze Member
I second that links, 7mm Rem Mag is my one and only

But in the end it's what you would like! Just remember the fit of the rifle to you is just as important as the caliber.
Unread 07-22-2008, 09:06 PM
Nice line up of fine rifles Frank21
Life is about the journey, not the destination
Unread 07-22-2008, 10:33 PM
Platinum Member
Originally Posted by Lookinforlunkers View Post
Nice line up of fine rifles Frank21
For sure. I want some too.
Unread 07-23-2008, 12:03 PM
Silver Member
Frank 21 those are some nice toys. After seeing your equipments specs I think a big part of our differences is we are talking apples and oranges. My experiences are with factory 24" barrels which tend to favor the Short mags. I also closely follow the reloading manuals recommended charge weights which also tend to follow the Sammi pressure limits for the cartridges. I think those two factors probably contribute to our results varying by approx 100 FPS.
Unread 01-03-2009, 11:42 AM
Platinum Member
Re: 7wsm

Originally Posted by blipelt View Post
never had a rem mag, but have reloaded for them for friends and shot several. I own one 7wsm for long range shooting and one light for mountain hunting is being built. Yes I like them that much. I shoot 162 amax. Like james said if you go with a wsm get a long action and a center feed clip. If you however aren't going to be reloading they can get expensive at about $35 a box here in ND.

I have a 7mm Rem MAg I am equipping for LRH. But as I do it gets heavier and heavier. Was thinking on a Win or Sav 7mm WSM package gun for a walkin hikin backpackin rifle. It seems the WSM is pretty good compared to (my other choice) a 270 package gun. Thanks for the info all...

NRA Life Member