Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

7mm stw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2013, 09:24 PM

7mm stw

My first post joined a while back but never got around to posting, hello to all. I am in the process of having a 7mm stw build and am looking at using 150g swift scirrocco 11 bullets. have done some ballistic calculations and from what I have found may have .25-.4 MOA windage at 1000 yards but 25+ MOA less drop. I am looking for any and all opnions as I am new to this game and appreciate all the advice and recipes any one may put forward. Thanks in advance Jim.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:32 PM
Silver Member

Re: 7mm stw

With all that horsepower stick with the bigger bullets. I don't have a STW but if I did I would be looking hard at the Berger 180 gr. BC of .659 would be hard to beat.

I suspect the Scirroco will be a grenade when it hits. Might be driving them too fast depending on your twist also.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:51 PM

twist is 1-8.5 out of a kreiger #16 palma barrel finished at 30' before break. doing some calculations will have same velocity at 1000 yards but around 50-80 fps less with .25-.4 MOA more windage. I have been using the scirocco 11's in several 7's for many years and knw they do their part if I do mine. I couple friends are getting 3400-3500 fps with same set up.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagilks View Post
My first post joined a while back but never got around to posting, hello to all. I am in the process of having a 7mm stw build and am looking at using 150g swift scirrocco 11 bullets. have done some ballistic calculations and from what I have found may have .25-.4 MOA windage at 1000 yards but 25+ MOA less drop. I am looking for any and all opnions as I am new to this game and appreciate all the advice and recipes any one may put forward. Thanks in advance Jim.
Welcome and welcome to the STW club. We even have a 7mm STW subforum here.

I like the Siroccos a lot and shoot them extensively. The one thing I'd caution you on is that at these velocities they are rather explosive at sub 300yds ranges. When I say explosive I mean hitting a coyote center mass broadside with them consistently cuts them literally in half.

At longer ranges they perform flawlessly with consistent controlled expansion.

I haven't shot anything bigger than deer with them but those deer I did shoot we had perfect performance on.

With the 30 cal 180's I killed one huge old boar with a high shoulder shot and got a complete pass through with the bullet not quite making it out buried up in the cartilage sheild on the off shoulder which was about 3" thick.

I have shot dozens of large boars with the Hornady interlock and interbond and most of the time they did exit even on the same shot just as a comparison for you. The wound tracks tough internally were very similar.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelduster View Post
With all that horsepower stick with the bigger bullets. I don't have a STW but if I did I would be looking hard at the Berger 180 gr. BC of .659 would be hard to beat.

I suspect the Scirroco will be a grenade when it hits. Might be driving them too fast depending on your twist also.
They above is why I have literally been begging Swift to develop a 175-185gr .284. Lat time I talked to them in 2012 it was still a possibility but not under development.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:53 PM
Silver Member

Seems the majority of the time I have my long range set up the critters show up at a hundred yards.
My brother was shooting Scirroco's in his 300 win mag and a hog showed up at 125 yards and he killed it in dramatic fashion. He was using the 150 gr bullets. Damage like shooting a squirrel with my 6br. Blew a huge hole.
Like Wild Rose says they do great at longer range when the velocity drops a bit. Also very accurate.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelduster View Post
Seems the majority of the time I have my long range set up the critters show up at a hundred yards.
My brother was shooting Scirroco's in his 300 win mag and a hog showed up at 125 yards and he killed it in dramatic fashion. He was using the 150 gr bullets. Damage like shooting a squirrel with my 6br. Blew a huge hole.
Like Wild Rose says they do great at longer range when the velocity drops a bit. Also very accurate.
Sounds like my coyotes. I've "parted out" over a hundred of them this way LOL.