Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

7mm stw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 08:40 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm stw

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmith2 View Post
how is the stw for long range? planning on 168 vld's-advice on this will help.Thanks JP
ALSO- WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST SCOPE TO USE--TO AIR IT OUT--UP TO 700-1000 YRDS
With the 168 grain bullet, you are Definitely good for the distance .
As far as the optics goes, that's always a good question. It really depends on the $$$$ factor. If $$ wasn't an issue, the NF would be on my shopping list. I had one in my greedy little hands last Sunday. My money would would probably gow to a Leupold LR model, or similar though!
The STW is an awesome cartridge, and it is NO slouch.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmith2 View Post
how is the stw for long range? planning on 168 vld's-advice on this will help.Thanks JP
ALSO- WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST SCOPE TO USE--TO AIR IT OUT--UP TO 700-1000 YRDS
P/S, for more info, go to the " Rifles, Barrels, and Ballistics" page, and look for the thread, " For Those That Shoot The 7mm STW". Plenty of info there!!
Old 01-31-2013, 09:40 PM
Platinum Member

I'm running a Zeiss 6.5-20x50 on my 700 Sendero SF (26" heavy fluted). It will stabilize the 168's with no issues. I can only imagine what a 28-30" tube would do! I bet it would be a lazer still beyond 1200...

I'll post a pic of mine either later tonight or tomorrow.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:18 PM
Platinum Member

Here's a few pics of my Remington 700 Sendero SF in 7mmSTW. I know, I know....I don't have a picatinny base and rings yet, but in the next few weeks I should be ordering an EGW base and TPS rings for it. I'd love to order a Nightforce NXS 8-32x56, but the funds just aren't there right now. The Zeiss is doing fine and is driving tacks at 100 yards, and for those non-believers in the Conquest lineup, go look theough one outside, and not in a store. They are phenomenal for the money. And IMO, I'd rather have a Zeiss Conquest than a Swarovski.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 02-01-2013, 04:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I'm running a Zeiss 6.5-20x50 on my 700 Sendero SF (26" heavy fluted). It will stabilize the 168's with no issues. I can only imagine what a 28-30" tube would do! I bet it would be a lazer still beyond 1200...

I'll post a pic of mine either later tonight or tomorrow.
Mudrunner, that's a nice looking rig, and a shooter , I'm sure. That Zeiss scope is just fine. I've shoot a few guns that my friends have, with that exact scope, and I was pleased. In this game, economics are ALWAYS a factor. True, the NF is a awesome scope, and probably the bast for the money on the higher end scopes. I know CAN'T afford one, but maybe someday a used one will roll my way. My first STW was exactly the one you have there, and it was/ is a shooter still.
One thing I noticed on your rifle, which will give you more eye releif, is that if you reverse the front scope base, putting the offset forward, you can slide your scope a little more forward, and also, have a wider support on the tube as well.
You will like the EGW bases. They are inexpensive, well built, and functional. I have one on my 700P, and it looks and functions great. On most everything else that I own, I use the Leupold Dual Dovetail, bases and rings. They are ROCK solid, and they don't move .
That's a nice rig there dude, and worth it's weight in gold. Check out the 7 mm STW website, you'll find some interesting things there. Words of CAUTION, shooting the STW is addicting. You can't just own one.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:44 PM
Platinum Member

Oh yeah, it's definitely addicting. I've had my Sendero for 11 years now (since new), and it's shot like a champ since day 1. I have the EGW base and TPS ring combo on my 700 5R .308 for a year now, and it's been excellent! For the money, that combo can't be beat, IMO.

I would love to have another Sendero SF in 7mmSTW identical to mine, but finding one is hard, and findin one for a good price that hasn't been shot-out is near impossible.

I'd like to find a Sendero SF in .308 or one in .280 Rem (to ream chamber to .280 A.I.), if you know where I might could find any of the above mentioned, the info would be appreciated.

Quote:
Old 02-01-2013, 05:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Oh yeah, it's definitely addicting. I've had my Sendero for 11 years now (since new), and it's shot like a champ since day 1. I have the EGW base and TPS ring combo on my 700 5R .308 for a year now, and it's been excellent! For the money, that combo can't be beat, IMO.

I would love to have another Sendero SF in 7mmSTW identical to mine, but finding one is hard, and findin one for a good price that hasn't been shot-out is near impossible.

I'd like to find a Sendero SF in .308 or one in .280 Rem (to ream chamber to .280 A.I.), if you know where I might could find any of the above mentioned, the info would be appreciated.
Im pretty sure they don't make a Sendero in 280! I would own one for sure if they did! I am actually building a 280 now, as we speak! That would be a sweet deal though, a Sendero in 280! Talk about perfect. Your rifle looks to be in near perfect condition. The pix do it justice.
I bought a second hand sendero STW barrel last spring. I was told, that the gun was inherited, in nearly unfired condition. He even had the original two boxes of ammo, with a few missing. He had no interest in this caliber, and built a 338 LM. I purchased the barrel he shipped it, and I high tailed to my gunsmith, and had him put the bore scope to it. He said the barrel was in fact as was stated. I purchased a donor rifle, and had him put it together. I set it into a Bobby Hart laminated LRT stock from Stockys. This thing is tack driver, and already has a notch in it.
I love this caliber, it is very accurate, very SHOOTABLE, and barrel life is reasonable if the shooter is reasonable.