Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

7mm RUM for this year

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 12:18 PM
Platinum Member

7mm RUM for this year

Need to make decision on loading for my new rifle. I won a LSS 700 in 7RUM and I wanna make it my light carry rifle. I took the Beautiful laminated stock off and put a HS stock on it since it had the aluminum bedding block. I am gonna use it for my deer gun and possibly elk. Max distance is 1200 on white tail and probably 600 for deer (Just because of where I would be hunting). Just looking for some bullet ideas or info. all the other big 7's I have had were custom barrels and heavy not sporters so I need some idea's.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:17 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm RUM for this year

I just don't see using a sporter barrel on a 1,200 yard rifle...Just my thoughts.

Maybe atleast a Krieger #3 fluted, like the AccuMark barrels? Just stiff & heavy enough to allow for long range, but light enough to still pack.

Post some pics, I bet she's a beautiful rifle!

I am a big fan of the LSS rifles...Especially the ones that were factory chambered in .257 Wby Mag. Still need to get me one of those someday.

I've never had good luck with large magnums in factory Remington sporter barrels, only their factory bull barrels. However, one of my buddies has a .300WM SPS and he has had ecxellent accuracy.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:34 PM
Platinum Member

My first bullet and powder choices would be the 180 hybrid and RL33. I would probably try H870 as well.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 08-07-2013, 07:02 PM
Gold Member

180 Hybrid and any powder that produces good results. See how you can handle the abuse w/o a brake. Those guns are a brute to the shoulder and can be a bit#$ to tune. Good luck.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:27 PM
Platinum Member

Distance will be determined by how it shoots. .if i cant get 1/2 " accuracy or betterbarrels coming off.wanna keep it sporter though cuz i dont own a magnum under 12 lbs and i need one.
I will post up pictures tomorrow. I can take the beating dont like recoil but if i limit my shots to 5 or less a day it doesnt affect my shooting.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:48 PM
Gold Member

I just put a scope on a 7RUM picked up from the smith this Monday.

700 accurized action
HS skim bedded
Lilja barrel sporter contour w/brake
Leupold VXIII 8-25X50

The weight was exactly 10lbs.

180 Hybrids are in the picture....195's if they ever come out. The twist is an 8 ordered when Berger announced the 195's. I guess I'm sticking to the 180's for now. I'm anticipating the harmonics to be very temperamental with the sporter contour.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:46 AM
Platinum Member

looked again at my first post I was thinking about my other gun. White tail max on this will be 800, and Elk 600. Was really thinking about trying the berger 168 classic hunters since I wanted to leave this rifle as factory as possible. I will play with it a while and after season or sometime trade it off for something else.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
7mm RUM for this year-7rum.jpg   7mm RUM for this year-7rum-1.jpg  

Last edited by dragman; 08-08-2013 at 01:00 PM. Reason: pictures