Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

7mm Remington Mag Build HELP !!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2014, 09:07 AM
Gold Member

Re: 7mm Remington Mag Build HELP !!

Another vote for the 7mm Rem Mag. In guns light enough to carry out hunting you can still enjoy shooting them with manageable recoil and the 168 Bergers.

I also vote for your other suggestion the .308. Those are my two hunting rifles. The .308 is small and light and great to practice with and capable of killing deer sized game at moderate ranges. The 7 Mag is my dedicated long range rig and is capable of cleanly harvesting the largest animals in North America further than I am willing to shoot one.

I think the 7 Mag fills the perfect niche of just enough overbore to push high BC bullets that are heavy enough to cleanly take North American and Plains Game at long ranges without be finicky or requiring extreme gun weight or muzzle breaks.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:25 PM

For long range you those are 2 good calibers but I would go with the 7mm I always thought the 300 could outshoot a 7 until I had the honor of meeting a Military Sniper who took me under his wing and showed me the difference . He has both rifles also but his go to Rifle is that 7mm .
Old 05-08-2014, 08:48 PM
Silver Member

Can't go wrong with a 7 mag! I've owned one since the 1970's! There will always be one in my gun vault. I also own other calibers, but my go to rifle is my 7mag! It's just a great round. Can't say nothing bad about the 30 calibers either, I own a couple! Just have a warm spot in my heart for the 7mag!

DT
Old 05-08-2014, 11:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Tinsley View Post
Can't go wrong with a 7 mag! I've owned one since the 1970's! There will always be one in my gun vault. I also own other calibers, but my go to rifle is my 7mag! It's just a great round. Can't say nothing bad about the 30 calibers either, I own a couple! Just have a warm spot in my heart for the 7mag!

DT
I agree completely! My 7mm RemMags have always been my go-to rifles. And there's just something about them that has always drawn me to that caliber. I've had atleast one in the safe since I was 16 (have had up to 3 at once), so 12 years now, and while I have MANY other calibers, my go-to will always be a 7mm RemMag. They have never once let me down.

I think I'm coining a new phrase... And you heard it here first folks.

"It's a 7mm thing...You wouldn't understand."

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:25 AM
Silver Member

Muddrunner!
You are absolutely right! It is a 7mm mag thing!!! There is something about the round that is very addicting. I'm sure there are others on this site that have their fav's also an I can't say nothing negitive about other caibers. To Each His or Her Own!! IMO the 7mm mag just works! To the OP, I really don't think you will be disappointed with the 7mm mag! Just my 2cts!!

DT
Old 05-09-2014, 02:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Tinsley View Post
Muddrunner!
You are absolutely right! It is a 7mm mag thing!!! There is something about the round that is very addicting. I'm sure there are others on this site that have their fav's also an I can't say nothing negitive about other caibers. To Each His or Her Own!! IMO the 7mm mag just works! To the OP, I really don't think you will be disappointed with the 7mm mag! Just my 2cts!!

DT
I agree. I don't dislike any caliber. Only caliber I absolutely refuse to ever own again and dislike with a passion, is the .338 WinMag. Mine had a beautiful cold-bore zero...But any shots after that went God-knows where. It was horrible. The targets looked like a 12ga with turkey shot at 30 yards. LOL

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.