Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

7mm Rem Mag vs 6.5mm Creedmoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2014, 09:05 PM

7mm Rem Mag vs 6.5mm Creedmoor

Hello guys just wanted so input on my rifle I am putting together. I have set my sights on two cartridges (6.5mm Creed & 7mm Rem Mag). The idea behind this rifle is to be my first long range target gun. Also would love to use this gun for Mule Deer in New Mexico. I am building this gun on a Defiance Deviant Action built by Short Action Customs in northern Ohio. Both guns are very capable of shooting long range. For the Creed I will shoot 140 AMAX and for the 7mm I was planning on shooting 168 berger's or 180's. Any suggestions you guys might have would be great ! Thanks for reading !
Old 04-21-2014, 09:22 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm Rem Mag vs 6.5mm Creedmoor

If hunting medium game as well as target...Go with the 7mm RemMag with a 26" 1:9 twist barrel.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:57 PM
Gold Member

What distances are you planning on shooting? The creed could take you to 600 yards for game and the 7mm Mag would take you to 900 or so with more authority. Maybe a little further with the 180 Bergers.

The 7mm would burn more powder, have shorter case life, and burn the barrel out quicker than the 6.5 creed.

Depends on whether target or hunting takes priority too. Maybe you should get two rifles. Get a Savage 6.5 Creed or similar for target and long range practice and go hole hog on that 7mm and the defiance action. That way you have some backup if one rifle is down for some reason and you wont be burning up an expensive custom long range magnum rifle at the target range. That's probably what I would do.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:01 PM

I will most likely be target shooting more than anything...should I just side with the 6.5 Creedmoor and just go all out on it ? Thanks !
Old 04-21-2014, 10:24 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 408s10 View Post
I will most likely be target shooting more than anything...should I just side with the 6.5 Creedmoor and just go all out on it ? Thanks !
Definitely. The 6.5 Creedmoor will have significantly less recoil. The Creed is getting popular too. Hornady makes some great factory match grade ammo that doubles as verg good long range mule deer hunting ammo also. I own a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 7mm mag. The 7mm is my general carry deer/elk/antelope rifle and the Creed I use mostly at the range and building my long range shooting skills. I would not hesitate to shoot a muley or antelope at 600 yards or further (depends on altitude) with it though.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:34 PM
Silver Member

7mm Rem Mag and hold the rest. If you want to hunt it, use a #3 sized tube at 24" and go with a stock weighing 30oz or rest. It'll flatten critters way further than you can shoot well and do so easily.

Hunting rigs is easy....

Tanner
Old 04-21-2014, 11:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 408s10 View Post
Hello guys just wanted so input on my rifle I am putting together. I have set my sights on two cartridges (6.5mm Creed & 7mm Rem Mag). The idea behind this rifle is to be my first long range target gun. Also would love to use this gun for Mule Deer in New Mexico. I am building this gun on a Defiance Deviant Action built by Short Action Customs in northern Ohio. Both guns are very capable of shooting long range. For the Creed I will shoot 140 AMAX and for the 7mm I was planning on shooting 168 berger's or 180's. Any suggestions you guys might have would be great ! Thanks for reading !
Between the two hands down I'd go for the 7mm Rem. Faster, flatter, higher energy, better BC bullets for the long range stuff.