Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

7mm Rem Mag load for Elk size game at 700 yards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 06:01 PM
Bronze Member

Re: 7mm Rem Mag load for Elk size game at 700 yards.

It sucks whenever the big one gets away, and you feel bad you were not able to find him knowing you made a hit. That is hunting and nobody can fault you for making a valiant effort. there was nothing wrong with your set up, there are so many variables that you can never get it perfect every time. At least you tried, You can't win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket. You have to pay to win.

giving up right at dark sucks because you feel your so close. I have been thinking of getting one of those special lights that makes blood stand out when you shine on it. This would have been the perfect time to have one. I am sorry you didn't find your elk. At least it gives you a reason to buy another gun.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:07 PM
Silver Member

A 7mm mag will at a 1000yds have more retained energy and shoot flatter than ALMOST any other caliber. Definitely flatter and better than the 300 win mag in a apples to apples fair comparison. Anyone on here that says it takes a 30 cal to do it is very opinionated and spreading bar stool knowledge. Now that we are comparing BC and sectional densities and retained energy numbers and all the scientific mass in this world none of it will be any good compared to shot placement and bullet construction. I would much rather have a 45 cal muzzle loader round ball with its horrible bc and sectional density hammer my trophy in the brain than have the NASA guided million dollar bullet and caliber hit my trophy in the intestine and pencil hole it. To surmise look up what the energy and bc, sectional density of a round ball is and one internet warrior, number talking, non field experienced "HUNTER" would argue that the round ball would not penetrate let alone kill. We all know that many of muzzelloaders over centuries have killed all game. Its 99% shot placement.
Earlier in this thread it was said that BOTW tv shows have crippled many elk because of using the 7mm. I assure you if the hunter was using a 300 high zoot mag, the same elk would be just as crippled. Those that say a 7mm wounds and a 300 would of killed with the same shot and corresponding bullet weight and quality are purely ignorant internet warriors. Not wanting to start any fights here but come on. Lets think about it.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:18 PM
Platinum Member

Can I get an AMEN!!!

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:14 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaho elk hunter View Post
A 7mm mag will at a 1000yds have more retained energy and shoot flatter than ALMOST any other caliber. Definitely flatter and better than the 300 win mag in a apples to apples fair comparison. Anyone on here that says it takes a 30 cal to do it is very opinionated and spreading bar stool knowledge. Now that we are comparing BC and sectional densities and retained energy numbers and all the scientific mass in this world none of it will be any good compared to shot placement and bullet construction. I would much rather have a 45 cal muzzle loader round ball with its horrible bc and sectional density hammer my trophy in the brain than have the NASA guided million dollar bullet and caliber hit my trophy in the intestine and pencil hole it. To surmise look up what the energy and bc, sectional density of a round ball is and one internet warrior, number talking, non field experienced "HUNTER" would argue that the round ball would not penetrate let alone kill. We all know that many of muzzelloaders over centuries have killed all game. Its 99% shot placement.
Earlier in this thread it was said that BOTW tv shows have crippled many elk because of using the 7mm. I assure you if the hunter was using a 300 high zoot mag, the same elk would be just as crippled. Those that say a 7mm wounds and a 300 would of killed with the same shot and corresponding bullet weight and quality are purely ignorant internet warriors. Not wanting to start any fights here but come on. Lets think about it.
BINGO. Margin of error is a wives tale. A .50 in the guts is less lethal than a .22 to the liver.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:17 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaho elk hunter View Post
Please explain about the flat shooting? Who holds over for a thousand he shot

As for as margin of error goes it is the extreme BC. that larger calibers can offer thatcuts how precisely your wind dopeing must be .

My 260 @2800 with a 140gr has twice the drift of my 338 at a slightly slower speed and a 300gr bullet making that vital shot less difficult .
We can choose what ever we want that is what makes things interesting.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:21 AM

[QUOTE=porkchop401;822061]Please explain about the flat shooting? Who holds over for a thousand he shot

As for as margin of error goes it is the extreme BC. that larger calibers can offer thatcuts how precisely your wind dopeing must be .

My 260 @2800 with a 140gr has twice the drift of my 338 at a slightly slower speed and a 300gr bullet making that vital shot less difficult .
We can choose what ever we want that is what makes things interesting.[/QUOTE

If I were going to have to shoot a 30+ cal bullet then the 338 would be my choice because it offers a great BC. But if you look at the 30 cal bullets only then the 7mm is no doubt the better round. Just simply comparing the berger bullet selection the 30 cal 185 grain bullet offers a .549 BC. The same bullet in a 7mm at 180 gr offers a BC of .659. Now we are comparing apples to apples since the bullets weigh close to the same. If you looked at just the BC and bullet weight, which one would you choose?
Old 06-26-2013, 10:50 AM
Silver Member

I would choose a 230 grain Berger for the 300 win.
there are many ty pes of apples the ones you choose suit your argument as in weight to bore relation .
If you look at this in best available for a given bore diameter the game changes.
like comparing 140gr 6.5's to 140gr 7mm. the on paper edge goes to the 6.5.