Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

7mm Rem mag load

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 10:46 AM

Re: 7mm Rem mag load

My gun still grouping poorly. I noticed that there is a larger gap down the right side of the barrel than the left. Could this be the cause of the poor accuracy? If so, how can I correct this problem? The stock is free floated and easily allows a dollar to slide down it length between it and the stock. Im thinking that the barrel is touching on the left side when i fire it and this is causing the problem.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:22 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
My gun still grouping poorly. I noticed that there is a larger gap down the right side of the barrel than the left. Could this be the cause of the poor accuracy? If so, how can I correct this problem? The stock is free floated and easily allows a dollar to slide down it length between it and the stock. Im thinking that the barrel is touching on the left side when i fire it and this is causing the problem.
Anything touching the barrel unexpectedly will cause problems. For this reason I prefer my free floated barrels to have a larger than usual barrel channel in the stock.
Happy Sanding
Old 03-11-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
I broke in the barrel as per instructions on this website 2 months ago. I replaced the factory trigger with a Jewel and it is unbelievable. As far as bedding goes, I assumed it was already glass bedded. How would I go about trueing the action?
This tells me you took the stock off. How did it shoot before you took the stock off?
When you put the stock back on did you torque to the proper specs? My shooting partner has a sendero in 7mm rum and had the same problem until he torqued correctly. I think it is 65 inch lbs.

We are shooting 168 Bergers in 4 different 700s in 7 mm mag. best load for accuracy has been 72 gr. retumbo 215 primers, rem cases sorted by weight, bullet touching the lands. Getting right at 3000 feet out of 24" barrel. All are shooting well under 1 MOA
Old 03-11-2010, 11:16 AM

The gun shot poorly before i took the stock off. I've had the stock off twice since i've had it. Once to install a jewel trigger and once to figure out why the barrel wasn't centered in the stock. and to answer your question, no I dont have a torque wrench so its probably not torqued to the proper specs.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:42 PM
Bronze Member

Pick one powder you want to try, look in the book to find a starting powder load, work up at .5 gr increments(at least 7 or 8 times), go to the range and shoot to see if you can get some good groups. If you find a couple that shoot well go go home and load up 2 groups worth of each powder that shot well, then go back to the range and confirm groups. If you didn't find any good groups that shot well switch powder and redo the whole program. Some guns are picky with powder, if you can't find good groups with the bullet, switch bullet and start the process over some guns are picky with bullets and bullet weights.

Example: Starting with H4831sc at 65gr with 168gr berger..

Load up 65gr, 65.5, 66, 66.5, 67, 67.5, 68, 68.5 > 3 shells for each powder weight

Go to the range to find out that 66.5 and 68 gr shot 1/2 inch group

Go back home and reload 10 rounds of 66.5gr and 10 of 68gr, then go back to the range and fire them in 5 shot groups and find out which is your best powder weight to use. Then start fine tuning your load. Or you may find out that your gun doesn't like that powder. So switch to a different powder

You can't find out much by only loading up 3 different powder weights of a powder, you may get lucky but you may also not see that great shooting group your looking for if you don't play with enough powder weights

Good Luck
Old 03-12-2010, 08:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynolds02 View Post
Pick one powder you want to try, look in the book to find a starting powder load, work up at .5 gr increments(at least 7 or 8 times), go to the range and shoot to see if you can get some good groups. If you find a couple that shoot well go go home and load up 2 groups worth of each powder that shot well, then go back to the range and confirm groups. If you didn't find any good groups that shot well switch powder and redo the whole program. Some guns are picky with powder, if you can't find good groups with the bullet, switch bullet and start the process over some guns are picky with bullets and bullet weights.

Example: Starting with H4831sc at 65gr with 168gr berger..

Load up 65gr, 65.5, 66, 66.5, 67, 67.5, 68, 68.5 > 3 shells for each powder weight

Go to the range to find out that 66.5 and 68 gr shot 1/2 inch group

Go back home and reload 10 rounds of 66.5gr and 10 of 68gr, then go back to the range and fire them in 5 shot groups and find out which is your best powder weight to use. Then start fine tuning your load. Or you may find out that your gun doesn't like that powder. So switch to a different powder

You can't find out much by only loading up 3 different powder weights of a powder, you may get lucky but you may also not see that great shooting group your looking for if you don't play with enough powder weights

Good Luck

+1 to the picking one powder. I have driven myself to frustration with powder experimentation. I just have gotten to a point that I want to go with one powder and make it work. The one thing that I have started doing over the past year is pressure testing. I load 1rnd per 1 grain increment. This is when I try different powders to find my velocity differences. Like in my WSM I did this with H4350. I started at 61.5grns and worked up in .5grn increments to 63.5grns. 62.5-63.5grns shot in the same hole or close to (cutting other holes). So I put together loads of 3 shot groups in 62.3, 62.5, and 62.8 grains. At 200yrds I am shooting .75" with the 62.3 and 62.5. So now I have to put together the loads again in 5 shot groups to verify. I noticed that the 62.3grn gives an 11fps spread, and 62.5 gives me a 7fps spread. Now just to do it one more time for verification. The reason I am doing the 62.3 again is that it may have produced a tighter group. I through it accidentally, so I need to try it again.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 03-12-2010, 08:58 AM

Have you eliminated the possability of a scope problem? I know its not likely that is the problem, but I have had very good scopes go bad. Just a thought