Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics


Reply

7MM Rem Mag - hardly a sniper rifle!

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #15  
Old 05-11-2014, 11:33 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 178
Re: 7MM Rem Mag - hardly a sniper rifle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I'm comparing bullet weight to case capacity...NOT bullet weight to bullet weight...That would be stupid.

Re-read my post. Your entire post was a complete waste of time and effort.
The discussion of this entire thread here is THE 7MM REMINGTON MAGNUM vs. 300 WINCHESTER MAGNUM for long range military sniper applications.

Comparing bullet weight to case capacity is a whole different subject that can encompass a multitude of calibers. Then we get into efficiency and all kinds of other ballistic data. This thread is caliber specific in it's comparison

Please read the thread and pay attention to the discussion at hand. You are trying to convince less educated people that the 7mm rem Mag will offer superior long range performance over the 300 Win mag and that just is not possible.
Trying to change the discussion to bullet weight vs capacity is just a means of "back-pedaling" to avoid admitting you are wrong. I am by no means an expert and I'm always striving to further my knowledge that has anything to do with firearms, but I do know ballistics, and I know that a 7mm Mag is not capable of 300 win mag performance at any range when using the best bullets available to both calibers.
__________________
Be confident and know your abilities.
Whether you think you can make the shot, or you think you canít, you are right.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-11-2014, 11:48 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 6,384
Re: 7MM Rem Mag - hardly a sniper rifle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrillDog View Post
The discussion of this entire thread here is THE 7MM REMINGTON MAGNUM vs. 300 WINCHESTER MAGNUM for long range military sniper applications.

Comparing bullet weight to case capacity is a whole different subject that can encompass a multitude of calibers. Then we get into efficiency and all kinds of other ballistic data. This thread is caliber specific in it's comparison

Please read the thread and pay attention to the discussion at hand.
I am keeping it to the discussion at hand... Sounds like you're out of sound reasoning.

Oh, and the number one reason the military stuck with the .300 WinMag, was because of the already massive surplus of .308 caliber projectiles and US869 powder they stock. Also, to convert the M24 to .300 Win, they only had to 2 simple things, open the chambers, and open the bolt faces. The mil contracts already have barrel & action blueprints and specs approved...And a complete redesign and resubmission, restocking components, and dealing with all the red tape, would cost billions of dollars and LOTS of time.

It was a simple rechamber & open the bolt face job with new brass and primers... No new rifle specs. They could essentially keep everything the same.

Oh, and I never said it was superior, but apparantly you thought I did, and that's what got you fanboys all butthurt. Nobody's ripping on your caliber, just setting the record straight when several others claimed it was "so much better" than the 7mm RemMag, when in reality, they are so close, it pretty much comes down to if you want a 7mm bullet or a .30 cal bullet.

But if you're good at ballistics as you say, and have as much first-hand knowledge with each caliber, as you try to portray, you should know that, right?

Instead of making up crap, like trying to ball-face lie and say that I said it was better.... Which is NOT true. I said they were so close it didn't matter which one you pick.

I DID, however, say the 7mm RemMag was MY favorite caliber...But never said it was better.
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-11-2014, 11:54 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 178
Re: 7MM Rem Mag - hardly a sniper rifle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I am keeping it to the discussion at hand... Sounds like you're out of sound reasoning.

Oh, and the number one reason the military stuck with the .300 WinMag, was because of the already massive surplus of .308 caliber projectiles and US869 powder they stock. Also, to convert the M24 to .300 Win, they only had to 2 simple things, open the chambers, and open the bolt faces. The mil contracts already have barrel & action blueprints and specs approved...And a complete redesign and resubmission, restocking components, and dealing with all the red tape, would cost billions of dollars and LOTS of time.

It was a simple rechamber & open the bolt face job with new brass and primers... No new rifle specs. They could essentially keep everything the same.
Well I can't comment on the militray's exact reasoning for their decision becasue I was not part of that planning...
But don't forget that they surely did it to have better ballistics than both the 308 Win and the 7mm rem Mag too!!!

I have had both the 7mm Mag and the 300 win mag. I now own neither. The 300 WM is not "my caliber". I'm simply stating the facts that you are trying to mutilate. They both pale in comparison to the big 33's. I even prefer the 6.5mm's over the 7mm RM or 300 WM because trajectory with the 140gr VLD is pretty close out to 1K, but recoil is about half.
__________________
Be confident and know your abilities.
Whether you think you can make the shot, or you think you canít, you are right.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-12-2014, 12:08 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halfway between Lubbock and Dallas
Posts: 5,168
Re: 7MM Rem Mag - hardly a sniper rifle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
Now that I got your attention!

I didn't want to hijack 7mm Remington Mag Build HELP !!


I've always been curious as to why the 7MM Rem Mag hardly made it in the List of sniper rifles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -despite all its accolades. Hopefully, it'll change but perhaps your friend (or others with similar real world/hands on experience) can shed some light.



I understand the list is inconclusive and perhaps inaccurate but just use it as a quick reference for a comparative purpose only.
The caliber is certainly quite capable but most of the world's snipers be they police or military use factory built "sniper rifles" chambered in .223, .308, or .300wm because those are the factory offerings.

We saw a big change in military sniper rifles over the last 20 years with the big bores coming around due to design improvements and especially recoil management due to changes in design and the addition of very effective muzzle brakes.

Not a damned thing wrong with the 7mm Rem for most sniper applications, it's just not a caliber that ever took off with police and military units mainly because of the fact they'd have to buy ammo specifically for it that would not work in service rifles or machine guns that were already in the inventory.
__________________
Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-12-2014, 12:14 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 6,384
Re: 7MM Rem Mag - hardly a sniper rifle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrillDog View Post
Well I can't comment on the militray's exact reasoning for their decision becasue I was not part of that planning...
But don't forget that they surely did it to have better ballistics than both the 308 Win and the 7mm rem Mag too!!!

I have had both the 7mm Mag and the 300 win mag. I now own neither. The 300 WM is not "my caliber". I'm simply stating the facts that you are trying to mutilate. They both pale in comparison to the big 33's. I even prefer the 6.5mm's over the 7mm RM or 300 WM because trajectory with the 140gr VLD is pretty close out to 1K, but recoil is about half.
I had a .338 WinMag and it sucked. Cold bore zero was dead-on.....Any shots after that you might as well put up a dart board and start taking bets.

But let's not get this thread anymore sidetracked than it already has been...
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-12-2014, 12:39 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 178
Re: 7MM Rem Mag - hardly a sniper rifle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I had a .338 WinMag and it sucked. Cold bore zero was dead-on.....Any shots after that you might as well put up a dart board and start taking bets.

But let's not get this thread anymore sidetracked than it already has been...
I'll try not to sidetrack the thread too far, but also try not to form an opinion on 33 cal chamberings based on your ONE experience with a bad rifle.
The 338 win mag chambering didn't suck...Either your rifle or the ammo being shot through it sucked ;)

But I don't really consider the 338 WM a "Big" 33 anyhow. That wasn't really what I was talking about. But I'll leave it at that.
__________________
Be confident and know your abilities.
Whether you think you can make the shot, or you think you canít, you are right.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-12-2014, 12:40 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halfway between Lubbock and Dallas
Posts: 5,168
Re: 7MM Rem Mag - hardly a sniper rifle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrillDog View Post
The discussion of this entire thread here is THE 7MM REMINGTON MAGNUM vs. 300 WINCHESTER MAGNUM for long range military sniper applications.

Comparing bullet weight to case capacity is a whole different subject that can encompass a multitude of calibers. Then we get into efficiency and all kinds of other ballistic data. This thread is caliber specific in it's comparison

Please read the thread and pay attention to the discussion at hand. You are trying to convince less educated people that the 7mm rem Mag will offer superior long range performance over the 300 Win mag and that just is not possible.
Trying to change the discussion to bullet weight vs capacity is just a means of "back-pedaling" to avoid admitting you are wrong. I am by no means an expert and I'm always striving to further my knowledge that has anything to do with firearms, but I do know ballistics, and I know that a 7mm Mag is not capable of 300 win mag performance at any range when using the best bullets available to both calibers.
Emphasis mine. No, read the OP again, this thread is why the 7mm Rem didn't become more popular as a police and military sniper round. It is not limited to 7mm Rem and 300wm.
__________________
Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC