Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

7MM Rem Mag - hardly a sniper rifle!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2014, 05:57 AM
Platinum Member

7MM Rem Mag - hardly a sniper rifle!

Now that I got your attention!

I didn't want to hijack 7mm Remington Mag Build HELP !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltactiondave284 View Post
For long range you those are 2 good calibers but I would go with the 7mm I always thought the 300 could outshoot a 7 until I had the honor of meeting a Military Sniper who took me under his wing and showed me the difference . He has both rifles also but his go to Rifle is that 7mm .
I've always been curious as to why the 7MM Rem Mag hardly made it in the List of sniper rifles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -despite all its accolades. Hopefully, it'll change but perhaps your friend (or others with similar real world/hands on experience) can shed some light.

Quote:
NOTE: I know there are lots of members that are passionate about the 7MM Rem Mag and rightfully so, but this is NOT about that!
I understand the list is inconclusive and perhaps inaccurate but just use it as a quick reference for a comparative purpose only.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:44 AM
Silver Member

Re: 7MM Rem Mag - hardly a sniper rifle!

Being a very big fan of the 7mm mag, I too have often wondered why the round was an still is overlooked for a sniper round. The only government agentsy I know of that uses the 7mm mag for sniping is the secret service. (That also could have changed)! One could think that as popular of a hunting round an long range round it is that the military would take a look at it!
FEENIX! Good tread! Kinda gets the brain cells moving around!( what few I have left) Mabey others can shed some light on this subject! Just my 2cts!

DT
Old 05-09-2014, 07:49 AM
Silver Member

iirc, the US Secret Service briefly used the 7mmRM chambering for it's interdiction rifles.

EDIT/PS: DT beat me to it! I didn't see his posting above mine... IDK if the Secret Service is still using the 7mmRM though.... Anyone?
Old 05-09-2014, 09:01 AM
Platinum Member

I know they did use them, but no clue about their current sniper rifle situation.

The 7mmRM would make an excellent sniper caliber. Especially with heavy-for-caliber bullets like the Berger 180 Hybrid. It wouldn't be the fastest load, but it would still pack some serious punch, and could easily be suppressed.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:02 AM
Platinum Member

The Sierra reloading manual had a short quip about the 7rm being used by a .gov agency, i'm sure a little google-fu could find out if it's still in use.

Some random musings regarding the potential thought process behind the military decision to adopt the .300 rather than the 7rm (not in any particular order).

1). Bore life- While not a huge difference, it does exist. (according to my barrel life calculator an increase of ~10-20%) running H-1000 in both. When maintain hundreds if not thousands of rifles, the cost savings is not difficult to see.

2). Projectile cost- In order to get the best possible ballistics from the 7rm, the 180 Berger should be used; agreed? Berger 180's run $51/100pcs. The 220 SMK runs $48.50/100pcs. An offset cost of $250 per 10,000 rounds. When your orders run into the hundreds of thousands, if not millions......

2a). Projectile Availability- I have no problems with Berger so take this statement as an unbiases analysis. I personally feel Berger does not hold the manufacturing capability that Sierra does. Would it even be possible for Berger to meet the production demands of the .gov? If there was any hope, say goodbye to the civilian market for a good while.

3). Accuracy Potential- I do not have any loading experience with the Berger Hybrids but we are all aware of some of the inherent difficulties with the VLD's. Most with loading experience also understand how forgiving the SMK's are. With that being said, an experienced handloader could come to the conclusion that, with thousands of rifles, even built to the same "spec", the SMK could & should yield a more consistent accuracy potential across a broader range of rifle than the VLD can/will.

4). Internal Ballistics- Paper ballistics notwithstanding, the internal ballistic advantage of a bullet weighing 40 grains more traveling at equal velocity (mk248 mod1) can/should offer an increased effect of internal ballistics (impact on target) i.e. Hard target interdiction, penetration of barriers etc.

I'm not trying to sway votes in one direction or another, nor am I trying to wave a fanboy flag in either direction (300wm all the way ). Just my musing of the potential "whys" of the decision to run the 300 over the 7rm.

t

Last edited by Outlaw6.0; 05-09-2014 at 10:09 AM. Reason: adders
Old 05-09-2014, 03:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
4). Internal Ballistics- Paper ballistics notwithstanding, the internal ballistic advantage of a bullet weighing 40 grains more traveling at equal velocity (mk248 mod1) can/should offer an increased effect of internal ballistics (impact on target) i.e. Hard target interdiction, penetration of barriers etc.
I think you meant 'terminal ballistics'.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebark View Post
I think you meant 'terminal ballistics'.

Well, crap. I most certainly did... no excuse other than lack of my daily quota of caffeine. Think one thing, type another.

That's what I get for trying to talk all smart'n'stuff.... Thanks trebark, as if I needed another blow to my fragile ego!

t