Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

7mm rem mag.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 08:59 AM
Silver Member

Re: 7mm rem mag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Kinsella View Post
Just bought my first big gun. A 7mm rem. mag. weatherby vangaurd. what is the best brand and bullet weight to start with? Want to do 500 yard target shooting to start. I am told 160 grain Federal or 162 grain Hornoday. Any suggestions are appriciated.

Welcome to the realm of Magnum cartridges! Once you see what they can do you rarely go back to anything else! Lol
Similar to you my first magnum was a 7mm Rem Mag accept mine was a rem 700 ADL from Walmart. It's still my most accurate rifle today. I'd recommend putting a muzzle brake on it as it will make you a better shot. Mine had a 26 inch barrel and the recoil was stout I can imagine that the vanguard will pack a punch with a 24incher. Long range shooting is so addicting and you'll enjoy it. Though I am far from being an expert I have learned a few things over the years. You can get really good at 500 yards with practice. I agree with what SIGNATURE542 said ...." at 500 yards the most accurate load is the one you are looking for" +2 on that. My gun really really loved 165gr Sierra Gameking loaded by Federal. It's more of a hunting load but my Gun could almost put 3shots in 1 hole. I'd also drop anything I'd shoot dead in its tracks with one shot! Good luck and welcome aboard
Old 03-31-2012, 09:08 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustfish View Post
I can promise that when you hit 500 yards you are going to be looking for a longer range.

You couldn't have said it any better! I noticed that quickly, you will keep wanting to push the envelope to further distances! Lol or like I'd tell my buddy, "I mastered 500 now I want to Master 600 ....." And so on lol. I learned that it starts getting a lot harder after 550 though Lol but boy is it fun to do!
Old 03-31-2012, 11:06 AM
Silver Member

71,000- sounds like proof load territory to me.
I can see upping the pressure to the same as .264 and .338 win. -64,000, but much higher and the brass won't last very long.
Cliff
Old 07-18-2012, 09:49 PM
Silver Member

This is an old thread.
Now I am on to another 7mmRM load.

1)Ruger #1 26"
150 gr Ballistic tip moly 3.4" 66 gr H4350
3259 fps [kicks harder than 120 gr]
3375 fps
3333 fps

2) 7mmRemMag VZ24 action, 26" Lothar Walther barrel
150 gr Ballistic tip moly 3.4" 66 gr H4350
3244 fps
3182 fps
3259 fps

I don't know why the Mauser is slower, but I shot a mule deer and an antelope with the VZ24 in late 2011.
The load is more than 4% backed off from the threshold of long brass life, and is still 9 gr more than the Hodgdon published load.
There are white lies, lies, damn lies, and then there are 7mmRM published loads.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:33 PM
Platinum Member

Typically all the max loads listed by MFG's are going to be reduced at least 10% from their real determined max just to protect them from a liability stand point. The older Hornady and Hogdon manuals in fact stated so.

Lies, damned lies, and liability lawyers... .
Old 07-19-2012, 01:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by proload View Post
Clarke,

I'd be interested in knowing where these facts originate from (specifically your comments on pressure) before taking them as gospel and going that far out of spec on my 7mm RM. As you know, we are engaged in a potentially dangerous sport, and the integrity of the information that we stake our lives on is critical. The ramifications for a shooter that pushes pressures beyond what his gun was designed and proofed for could be dire if they were to base their decisions on inaccurate information.

Whilst each of us is entitled to do whatever we want to do with respect to our own loads, I would suggest that we must be wise when sharing those loads with other people. You don't know the quality of my rifle and whether it can handle the pressures that you are talking about or not.

Who dies if it can't .... Not you.

I beleive that we are a knowledgeable, inquisitive and skeptical bunch, and if there was some sort of conspiricy of lies with respect to the 7mm RM load data, then that would have been exposed by now.

This is the first that I have heard these sort of comments and quite frankly, I consider them to be dangerous.

Please substantiate.
Thank you!

Right now I'm working up a load with 168gr Matrix VLD's and RL22, 66gr started to flatten primers, I know very well that 70gr RL22 and a 180gr pill is far into the "I'm trying to ruin my rifle zone"

Brendan please take what you read about loads online with a grain of salt, and always ALWAYS cross check them with factory and carefully work up from there.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 07-19-2012, 02:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
Thank you!

Right now I'm working up a load with 168gr Matrix VLD's and RL22, 66gr started to flatten primers, I know very well that 70gr RL22 and a 180gr pill is far into the "I'm trying to ruin my rifle zone"

Brendan please take what you read about loads online with a grain of salt, and always ALWAYS cross check them with factory and carefully work up from there.
Not too long back we had a guy claiming to be loading 7mm STW's with more powder than a case could even hold; even the most compressed loads... .

The cautionary advice is indeed proper and we should always take load data given online by strangers with a grain (pun intended) of Salt.

Always start low and work up watching for pressure signs.