Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Which 7mm Rem Mag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2013, 12:55 PM
Bronze Member

Which 7mm Rem Mag?

I am shopping for a new bolt action chambered in 7mm Remington Magnum.
I want this one for long distance shooting (i.e. 500 yards with hunting bullets) with an eye toward elk and plains game.
My question is: What rifle should I be considering with a particular interest being paid to the highest probable accuracy potential with bullets in the 160 grain plus range ( The new Nosler 168 grain AccuBond Long Range is appealing) and the lowest cost of purchase?

Of course, I will be crafting my own ammunition for this platform.
What does everyone think about the Savage Long Range Hunter 11/111?
It wears a 26 inch barrel and has both the Accu Stock and Accu Trigger.

A 14 power glass will ride atop whatever winds up in the safe.

Thank in advance for your input!
Konrad
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter can not be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”

Col. Jeff Cooper
Old 11-17-2013, 02:27 PM
Silver Member

Re: Which 7mm Rem Mag?

I have a few Savages and they all shoot great. I am putting a new barrel on a Savage model 12 in 300 WSM today. And I am doing it in my garage. They are know to be easy for the do it yourself type of gunsmithing and with good results.

The Savage Long Range Hunter 11/111 has some fans on here also. A few folks shoot it in 6.5x284 with great success. So for bang for the buck and with a good chance of having a good shooter right out of the box, you could probably not go wrong with this gun.

Only concern I would have would be with bullet weights you mention. The gun only has a 9.5 twist. That would be fine for 168 Bergers and such, but I am not sure how well it would stabilize the heavier 180 Berger. It would probably also do very well with the 168 long range Accubond you mention.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:43 PM
Platinum Member

My vote is for a Remington Sendero SFII in 7mmRM. Excellent gun and excellent caliber.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:56 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I am not sure how well it would stabilize the heavier 180 Berger.
I think there are few factory 7MMRM with the 1x9 or faster twist for the heavier bullets made as MFG rifles. My Weatherby Vanguard 7MMRM is a 9 1/4 twist and did fire 175 Nosler partitions well.

Its all about budget..good consistent long range shooting rifles need some work typically, trigger and range time to get confident and consistent down range, whatever you purchase and work on.

Such things as action bedding, rifle fit to person, trigger adjustment or replacement, upgrades and such are a few possibilities. Get it all done prior to loading because some of this work my cause you to make loads differently...and can effect point of impact down range.

Other things to consider are what the rifles ultimate use is for. this can guide you to weight of rifle you desire and many other choices to be aware of.

Here is a pretty good example for a starter a bit heavy on $$
*** WTS *** Remington 700 LSS - 24hourcampfire

Good luck selecting plenty out and about to select from
Old 11-17-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
My vote is for a Remington Sendero SFII in 7mmRM. Excellent gun and excellent caliber.
I agree
Old 11-18-2013, 06:41 AM
Banned

I have to go with the Savage. I have had two Savages and both were great. The one that I still have, has a Criterion barrel on it now and is a great shooter. I also have a Remington SPS and it is a good gun. I just am not real pleased with Remington quality anymore. It sure doesn't feel like they used to. They are both sub-minute shooters on the days that I do my part.

There are other great guns out there, too, so don't limit yourself on your selection.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:54 AM
Silver Member

Id go with either Browning X-bolt or Savage. I personally go with the Browning x-bolt. I absolutely LOVE that rifle! Reloaded for a Browning x-bolt in the 7mmRM and the first load i put together for it with 150 Nosler partitions it shot 1/2 MOA. Not bad for the first try...... I probably could have tightened that group up a little but i figured i didnt need to for hunting. Ive heard alot of people say how much they love this rifle. Its light weight and it doesn't kick at all.