Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

7mm Rem Mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 05:41 AM
Silver Member

Re: 7mm Rem Mag

Southpa - you're having the 1-gun battery dilemma most everyone struggles with eventually. Lots of threads on this very topic.

I'm a lot like you, though a little more conservative in going long. Of course shot placement is everything, but it's also necessary to have enough hammer for the nail....

For distances out to ~800 for elk/deer/speed goats (anything except things that can bite back), I've pretty well decided on staying with 7mm. I have a Rem Mag currently, but am saving up pennies to have a 7mm/300 built for the extra margin of HP to that distance.

For longer than that and at elk sized game and bigger, I think a fast 338 is the right medicine. It's another rifle, but that distance/hunting is another game altogether.

However, these are just my thoughts/opinions and other folks have their experiences to guide them.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:43 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrodmar10 View Post
You might want to take a look at this article. Lots of good info.

What's Wrong With .30 Caliber?
This article influenced my thinking immensely. I don't have the expertise to "prove" or dis-prove what Bryan asserts, but he works in this stuff every day and his assertion seems reasonable to me.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:05 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmajor View Post
This article influenced my thinking immensely. I don't have the expertise to "prove" or dis-prove what Bryan asserts, but he works in this stuff every day and his assertion seems reasonable to me.
I'm the same way. It made me rethink caliber choices. Now that Berger is making the 30 caliber 210 VLD Hunting and the 215 gr. and 230 grain Hybrids, I'd like to see Bryan Litz revisit the topic. I wonder is he would still reach the same conclusions.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:52 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrodmar10 View Post
I'm the same way. It made me rethink caliber choices. Now that Berger is making the 30 caliber 210 VLD Hunting and the 215 gr. and 230 grain Hybrids, I'd like to see Bryan Litz revisit the topic. I wonder is he would still reach the same conclusions.

If you havenít already done so pick up or borrow a copy of Bryan's new book "Accuracy and Precision for Long Range Shooting." He uses mostly computer analysis with some actual field testing for ballistics comparison for not only target shooting but also for long range hunting.

It's well worth the read especially the shot probability analysis with different calibers under different confidence conditions. For the most part as you move through the book from small to bigger calibers probability increase along with distance.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:24 AM
Platinum Member

Shooting a braked 300 WM will be cheaper than shooting a 7 RM in the long run once you start burning out barrels.

Anyway, It'll be a good rifle for starters. Once you take a couple of LR shots on game you'll understand the benefit of a brake.

Good shooting

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-11-2013, 01:10 PM
Gold Member

Yes 7mm mag will work and it does not have to be 18lbs to be accurate. A light rifle can shoot very well. I have never noticed a difference between a 7mm and a 300 win for killing and I have shot many big game animals with both at short range and long range.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:36 PM
Platinum Member

I say just build you a 7mmSTW and be done with it. greater capacity than 300 WinMag, and a 7mm Bullet. Flatter, faster, more KE, insane trajectory, and highly underestimated since people seem to be on this "big-bore" overkill fad right now.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.