Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

7mm Rem Mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm Rem Mag

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
thats why i went 6.5 creed for a deer gun as i will practice alot more than i would with an uber mag of any short. elk different story but shot placement is number one on the list a gut shot animal with a 338 is a gut shot animal with 243.
The OP asked....

Quote:
Enough to kill all north americas big game out to 1000 yards? Some say go with .300....
That would include Elk, Bear, Moose and Caribou to 1000 yds. The 6.5 Creed would not be my choice. The 300 WM would be the minimum.

Shooting a 6.5 assures you better shot placement than a 300 WM???

You might want to read this thread...

Comparing the Berger 210 VLD to the 215 Hybrid

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-10-2013, 09:13 PM
Platinum Member

1k is .30 cal and up territory. You can do it with a 7 or even .270, but why? I'd rather be overkill at close range than underkill at longrange.

With the above stament in mind, I would still go for the 7. If your new to the game, you will want a back up/deer gun gun that doesnt need to shoot that far. A 7 Rem is awsome to 850-900, and will only be better eith the 195 hybrid. it doesnt need a break, is shorter and cheaper to shoot. I would personally go for the 7WSM or .270 WSM just for the slightly shorter tube and sexyness.
This also means that when you want to get serious and step into the .338 or .375 range that you know all the components for your build becasue you have picked apart all the short comings with your now "backup rifle".

I have a .338 RUM and love it, but I am going to buy a Senduro or M70Coyote lite in .270WSM, 7 WSM or 7 Rem just for something a little smaller that doesnt break the bank so bad and is a little easier on the meat up close.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:45 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Tinsley View Post
Might open up a can of worms here, the caliber anybody chooses to shoot is their own choice, but if you don't have good bullet placement, the animal still suffers!

DT
I've been struggling with good shot placement for years and I will always struggle. Iíve tried to perfect shooting skills as best as I can but one element I have continually struggled with, Mother Nature. Canít count how many times old Mother Nature has decided to change wind direction or some other unforeseen elemental about the time ĒI thinkĒ I have it figured out. Unfortunate results are shots or spotter called corrections not in tune to current conditions resulting in hits on the edges or just outside the edges of vital zones. With this said I donít believe, and this is just my opinion, there is such a thing as overkill. Why not choose a ballistics platform that will allow for delivery of higher energy if the other characteristics of ballistics performance are not degraded?
Old 03-10-2013, 09:48 PM
Silver Member

Doesn't matter what you shoot,6.5,7mag,300,338,or whatever, nothing assures anybody of correct shot placement,,!! The Shooter does!! Safety,Practice,Research,being comfortable with what you have chosen to shoot! I think the Man is more or less asking about a 7mag or 300mag up to 1000yrds! Not more than a 1000yrds! Up to 1000 yards 7mag,300,338,6.5 will pretty much work. Shot Placement is the Key!!!
Old 03-10-2013, 10:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMERSS View Post
I've been struggling with good shot placement for years and I will always struggle. Iíve tried to perfect shooting skills as best as I can but one element I have continually struggled with, Mother Nature. Canít count how many times old Mother Nature has decided to change wind direction or some other unforeseen elemental about the time ĒI thinkĒ I have it figured out. Unfortunate results are shots or spotter called corrections not in tune to current conditions resulting in hits on the edges or just outside the edges of vital zones. With this said I donít believe, and this is just my opinion, there is such a thing as overkill. Why not choose a ballistics platform that will allow for delivery of higher energy if the other characteristics of ballistics performance are not degraded?
Can't really argue that point! Great point! IMHO We all struggle at some point. Overkill?? What is Overkill?? If one person likes one caliber an another person likes something else, where does overkill come in to play? If it was a perfect world everybody would shoot the same thing! Then we wouldn't have anything to talk or debate about!! Didn't meen to step on anybody's toes!! If I did,I do humbley apologize!!

DT
Old 03-10-2013, 11:47 PM

A lot of good food for thought floating around! This will be my first LR gun. Cheaper to shoot, less recoil, doesnt need a break (money saved). I agree that the most important aspect of this whole topic is SHOT PLACEMENT. Im sure once i have become competent at shooting long, i will become consumed with shooting longer as most people probly do. But SHOOTING is the key word. Shooting over 1000 sounds interesting but personally im not sure shooting animals over 1000 is something i want to do. So im thinking the 7mag is a better choice for me, but.... i could go bigger and in turn go longer if i should choose to if i went with a larger magnum. BTW i will be using this rifle to shoot all big game that i choose to chase throughout the years.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:41 AM
Gold Member

You might want to take a look at this article. Lots of good info.

What's Wrong With .30 Caliber?