Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

7mm Rem Mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 08:26 AM
Gold Member

Re: 7mm Rem Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS1 View Post
Well, as a new guy around here I was interested to see what the fine folks of LRH had to say.

Until a couple pages in.......stopped after page 4, just too much chest puffing.

Oh well, next thread

Dan
There was actually some good information burried in there if you were willing to go through all 21 pages! Lol

Edit: 22 pages now!!!
Old 03-14-2013, 02:06 PM
Gold Member

Southpa

I will give you a few examples of Accuracy with factory rifles and some customs with 700 actions. The first one is a Rem 700 SPS 7mm mag that I bedded in a High Tech stock and adjusted the trigger.

Here is the rifle.

Here is a 4 shot group off the bipod with a rear bag at 1000 yards with Retumbo and a 168 Berger Hunting VLD.

Same Rifle and load on a different day again off the bipod with a rear bag.

Factory Remington 700 BDL 375 H&H bedded in a HS stock. 600 yards off the bipod with a rear bag and 350gr SMK's.

I never had a Sendero in a 7mm Rem mag but I had a couple in a 7mm STW and other calibers so here are some targets from 7mm STW in a factory Sendero. This rifle was never bedded only the factory trigger was adjusted.

500 Yards off bipod with rear bag and 140gr Accubonds.

100 yards off bench 3 shots with Barnes 140 TSX's.

100 yards 160 Sierra HPBT 3 shots off the bench.

I have had over the years 10 Sendero's in a different calibers I have never had trouble getting them to shoot under 1/2 MOA.

Since we are on a 700 bashing trip by a few.

Custom LSR Rem trued 700 with Holland lug and factory bolt and trigger 7mm STW Berger 180's 3 shots off the bench at 100 yards.

Same rifle off Bipod at 710 yards off bipod with rear bag.

Again same rifle off bipod 1480 yards with a rear bag. A note I ran out of adjustment on the scope and had to hold over with a regular crosshair. First target only two shots hit the plate the 3rd went low.

Second group again holding over at 1480.

Rem 700 6-284 trued action ground factory lug with a hart barrel built by Jerry Simonson. That I bedded in the HS stock.

3 shots off bench 100 yards.

710 Yards Off bipod with a rear bag.

375 RUM on a Rem 700 SPS trued action, Factory bolt and trigger bedded in a High Tech Stock without a brake as of right now. Just Built by me and that is rounds 48, 49, and 50 down the tube. 3 shots 100 yards off bench.

All targets were shot at an altitude of 865ft above sea level.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:52 PM
Silver Member

Damn good shooting!! With results like those, what's not to like? You said that you have never owned a regular 7mag in a sendreo, I can assure you that you will be pleased! They shoot like the ones you have now!!(Great) how many gens of Retumbo are you using with the 160's? Again! Damn good looking rifle an damn good shooting!! Ani't nuttin wrong with a 700!! Not Nuttin at all!!!!

DT

I ment grains of Retumbo! Sorry!

Last edited by Dick Tinsley; 03-14-2013 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Grains instead of gens
Old 03-14-2013, 04:00 PM
Platinum Member

Hey Dakor......Don't you agree those pesky 700's just suck....

I love my 700's and honestly cannot find an action that I prefer over it. I have always been a 700 fan from an early age, and will always be one. Some things are just embedded in your DNA.

Once I get a box or 2 of Berger 180 Target VLD's I'll do some load testing with it in my Sendero SF 7mmSTW, and will post my "horrible groups" from that factory crappy 700 action and barrel once I get her dialed in.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:04 PM
Platinum Member

My 700 5R .308 shoots horrible, too. Here's a 24-shot hotlap I did on a bet from a buddy. No strays, no fliers, just one ragged hole.

I mean, they're just horrible shooters......Can't stand how bad they are straight out of the box, stock trigger that has not been touched.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 03-14-2013, 04:25 PM
Gold Member

Thanks. A 24 shot group? Man I do not want to shoot against you! Wow that is a hell of a group from a so called turd rifle. My load for my 7mm mag is 71.5gr of Retumbo, Fed 215 Primer, Winchester brass, 168 Berger VLD seated .007 off the lands, and the muzzle velocity average is 3055FPS and the ES and SD are in the low Single digits. That load in my rifle has no pressure signs and has easy case extraction. Please reduce load by 10% and work your way up. Southpa I do not think you will be at a disadvantage with a Remington.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:36 PM
Platinum Member

Yessir, that was a 24-shot group @ 100 yards. Hand on the Bible. I shot it on Jan 13 of this year.

And believe it or not, that was rounds number 77-100 out of that brand new rifle, too. Wasn't even broke in yet. To say I am pleased with my purchase is an understatment. I have always been a 700 fan.

I was shooting handloads, too. Recipe is as follows.

Lapua brass
44.0gr Varget
168gr Nosler Custom Competition bullets
Federal 210 primers
Packed to 2.810" C.O.L.

It's amazing how those turd rifles can shoot, ain't it?

Quote: