Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

7mm Rem Mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 04:34 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm Rem Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Could not have said better.... my smith has done hundreds of 700 builds... he was Kirby's smith before Kirby started building rifles... maybe he should have a permit to post here?

As has mine (he actually prefers the mod 70). It's summed up very easily.

You can polish a turd all day long. I guarantee, at the end of the day, it's still a turd.

t

Old 03-13-2013, 04:45 PM
Platinum Member

Then yall keep polishing yall's turds by spending thousands on other actions, while I'll spend a couple hundred on my 700 to have it shooting 1-holers.

My gunsmith is an older fellow, he's been smithing since before it was "cool". He still swears by the 700 action to this day. He's seen every gun known to mankind. He shoots BR comps and 1000yd comps, and you know what action he uses after all these years? A Rem 7 or 700. He was also ranked in the top 100 riflesmiths in the nation one year. He's got the cert to prove it. I've seen it with my own 2 eyes. His name.....Jimmy McCullough out of Selma, Alabama.

This article lists Jimmy as "one of America's premies gunsmiths." What Trips Your Trigger > Buckmasters > Venison and Other Wild Game Recipes

And I'm proud to have him as my smith, as well. So I'll take his word for it, when he says the Remington 700 is the best action design he's ever seen.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
As has mine (he actually prefers the mod 70). It's summed up very easily.

You can polish a turd all day long. I guarantee, at the end of the day, it's still a turd.

t
Yeah, I like the M 70 as well. Mine is a CRF with 3 position safety. The bolt is 2 peice but it has a good extractor and a standing style ejector which I like. Also the integrated recoil is a little beefier than the Howa and the trigger is extremely easy to adjust. Mine is a crisp 1#.

I might start doing future builds on these M 70 actions.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-13-2013, 06:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentc View Post
For the most part I agree that the loading manuals have gone light on the 7mm RM, but a couple weeks ago Hodgdon updated their 7mm RM data with some some pretty hefty Retumbo and H1000 loads for the 180 VLD. I have trouble believing you could push the powder charge that high with any factory rifle with a 180. The velocity posted is easily attainable. The powder charges, though, are definitely not lawyer proof.
You got me to look and WOW yea I got primers with the bottom of the firing pin indention even with the rest of the primer and material extruded around the pin at those charges, Berger's manual is definitely more realistic. To say I backed off is an understatement.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 03-13-2013, 08:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
You got me to look and WOW yea I got primers with the bottom of the firing pin indention even with the rest of the primer and material extruded around the pin at those charges, Berger's manual is definitely more realistic. To say I backed off is an understatement.
My .308 loads are like that, but I feel safe with Lapua brass. I'm running 44.0gr of Varget with both 168's and 175's out of a virtually new Remington 700 5R .308 (11.25" twist). I just figured it was strong strike marks from a new gun...Since I only have about 116 rounds through it. It's nowhere near broke in. Opinons please? None of my other new 700's have left funky indented primer strikes...

I break my guns in alot diffeent than most people and have never had a problem with them shooting 1-hole groups. I shoot the piss out of them before cleaning them about 100 rounds, during the process I get the barrel good and warm, then let it cool. Then shoot some more. Then I thoroughly scrub the barrel after 100 rounds, then I'm good to go. I'm sure I'll get flamed, but I don't care...Works for me and it shoots 1-holers for years and years. Not to mention a new barrel is just a phone call away. LOL

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:31 PM

Well, as a new guy around here I was interested to see what the fine folks of LRH had to say.

Until a couple pages in.......stopped after page 4, just too much chest puffing.

Oh well, next thread

Dan
Old 03-14-2013, 12:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS1 View Post
Well, as a new guy around here I was interested to see what the fine folks of LRH had to say.

Until a couple pages in.......stopped after page 4, just too much chest puffing.

Oh well, next thread

Dan
You needed to get either a bag of popcorn or a beer to enjoy the show
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe