Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics


Reply

7mm Rem Mag

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #134  
Old 03-13-2013, 03:33 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 649
Re: 7mm Rem Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Simply because everyone basically jumped on the 700 bandwagon. As a custom action maker, you will sell a lot more 700 clones because there are more aftermarket components for them.


The 700 is an OK action but when you have to replace everything for a good custom build and all you are left with is the reciever, that right there should tell you something.
I have often said you should need a permit to post on the internet. Where in the world do you get this stuff? They jumped on the bandwagon and made the 700 clone because that action was beating everyone and they wanted a piece of the pie. If any other action was taking home what the 700 was and still is they would have been the ones getting cloned not the 700. Remington, Howa, Weatherby, Sako, Tikka, Winchester and Browning all make good actions. I do not need to replace anything on a 700 action to make it shoot under 1/2 MOA. Even the factory trigger can stay along with the lug. I have also owned many factory rifles that shot ˝ MOA or better. The parts you are talking about are like most fishing lures they are meant to catch fisherman not fish.
__________________
Fast, Flat, and Accurate
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 03-13-2013, 03:36 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NW Louisana
Posts: 318
Re: 7mm Rem Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohunter14 View Post
Dick, the problem is that here was southpa's last post, which opened up the discussion a lot more. I acutally agree with what Montana threw out there: with the price of Senderos right now, it isn't a terrible idea to consider a custom. However, southpa might want to open up a whole new thread for that or this one is going to go to 100 pages before long! Hahaha!!!
Well!! I fibbed again! cohunter14, I couldn't agree with you more! Great post an thank you for takin time to say that! You are right, sendreo's have gotten very pricey, that doesn't meen that if somebody else has a differant choice about components that its not up to par as others might think! It's about choices! If someone wants to go with plan A, an they want info on it, that doesn't meen that you have to make a hard sell on plan B just because you like it or have one! That's what got me to givin my 2cts! If you have info or opinions then OK!! There are some people that just have to make a hard sell or win at whatever when they don't have to! Just because somebody has or wants something differant doesn't make the other persons stuff inferior! Thanks again cohunter14. You are top self!!

DT
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 03-13-2013, 03:43 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 6,360
Re: 7mm Rem Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakor View Post
I have often said you should need a permit to post on the internet. Where in the world do you get this stuff? They jumped on the bandwagon and made the 700 clone because that action was beating everyone and they wanted a piece of the pie. If any other action was taking home what the 700 was and still is they would have been the ones getting cloned not the 700. Remington, Howa, Weatherby, Sako, Tikka, Winchester and Browning all make good actions. I do not need to replace anything on a 700 action to make it shoot under 1/2 MOA. Even the factory trigger can stay along with the lug. I have also owned many factory rifles that shot ˝ MOA or better. The parts you are talking about are like most fishing lures they are meant to catch fisherman not fish.
Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

As a bass tournament angler, I can also relate fully to your last comment. I use the basic stuff that catches fish, NOT what I think it pretty and shiney. When I select lures, I try to think like a bass, and go by past knowledge of what colors, patterns, etc that I have caught fish on in the past. Just b/c it works for Mike Iconelli, Chris Lane, Leon Knight, Dean Rojas or Alton Jones, doesn't necessarily mean it's gonna work for me. If you don't know how to work the lure, you're not gonna catch fish, regardless of what colors or pattern it is.

Just like a mall ninja with everything inlcuding a margarita blender on their AR, doesn't mean they can more effectively execute a mission. Sometimes the KISS acronym really comes to mind. Keep It Simple, Stupid!.

A factory Remington 700 Sendero will out-shoot most other factory mass-built rifles under the Sendero's price-point. Known fact. When you start getting into Weatherby AccuMarks, you are talking about hand-built, hand-assembled, and hand-tested rifles. Therefore, they're gonna cost a little more than a Sendero. The Browning A-Bolts are also right on par with the Senderos. I've had 2, and they were both absolute shooters from the factory!

Always remember, just b/c you have a $10,000 rifles doens't mean anything.....A gun is only as lethal as the man behind the trigger.
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 03-13-2013, 03:44 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
Posts: 5,953
Re: 7mm Rem Mag

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakor View Post
I have often said you should need a permit to post on the internet. Where in the world do you get this stuff? They jumped on the bandwagon and made the 700 clone because that action was beating everyone and they wanted a piece of the pie. If any other action was taking home what the 700 was and still is they would have been the ones getting cloned not the 700. Remington, Howa, Weatherby, Sako, Tikka, Winchester and Browning all make good actions. I do not need to replace anything on a 700 action to make it shoot under 1/2 MOA. Even the factory trigger can stay along with the lug. I have also owned many factory rifles that shot ˝ MOA or better. The parts you are talking about are like most fishing lures they are meant to catch fisherman not fish.
Some wold disagree with you... tell you what, I'm ready to move on... if you want to flesh this out more, start another thread.
__________________
- Mark

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 03-13-2013, 03:50 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Gillette, WY
Posts: 2,779
Re: 7mm Rem Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakor View Post
I have often said you should need a permit to post on the internet. Where in the world do you get this stuff? They jumped on the bandwagon and made the 700 clone because that action was beating everyone and they wanted a piece of the pie. If any other action was taking home what the 700 was and still is they would have been the ones getting cloned not the 700. Remington, Howa, Weatherby, Sako, Tikka, Winchester and Browning all make good actions. I do not need to replace anything on a 700 action to make it shoot under 1/2 MOA. Even the factory trigger can stay along with the lug. I have also owned many factory rifles that shot ˝ MOA or better. The parts you are talking about are like most fishing lures they are meant to catch fisherman not fish.


LMAO, same place I got it I guess, by talking to people who actually know what they're talking about. Listen, 700s are the most popular because they could be resurrected from a run of the mill slab of chopsaw cut pipe into something capable of winning matches with the smallest investment, period. Can a Rem shoot 1/2 moa? Yup, do it all the time. I happen to have a couple of them. The aftermarket support for the 700 has grown to the size it is because of the demand, not because it is the end-all beat all.

I take it you've never seen a 700 lug so far out of shape it takes a surface grinder to make it square? which would be why certains 'smiths don't waste their time with them. Look at ANY top shelf rifle maker out there & tell me which ones still use a factor bolt & lug...please. Trigger? None of the top tier, some of the budget minded projects sure.

The majority of factory remington parts are replaced because they're known to have issues of one sort or another. When you're building a new rifle do you want the most possible accuracy or are you willing to take a chance on whether or not your factory parts going to function?

Easy decision on my part, which is why I don't build off of 700s anymore.


t
__________________
"I, however, view ethics as an individual decision. My ethics are mine - and I won't explain or justify them to anyone else. I seek nobody's approval, just that of my own conscience. "

Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 03-13-2013, 04:19 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
Posts: 5,953
Re: 7mm Rem Mag

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
LMAO, same place I got it I guess, by talking to people who actually know what they're talking about. Listen, 700s are the most popular because they could be resurrected from a run of the mill slab of chopsaw cut pipe into something capable of winning matches with the smallest investment, period. Can a Rem shoot 1/2 moa? Yup, do it all the time. I happen to have a couple of them. The aftermarket support for the 700 has grown to the size it is because of the demand, not because it is the end-all beat all.

I take it you've never seen a 700 lug so far out of shape it takes a surface grinder to make it square? which would be why certains 'smiths don't waste their time with them. Look at ANY top shelf rifle maker out there & tell me which ones still use a factor bolt & lug...please. Trigger? None of the top tier, some of the budget minded projects sure.

The majority of factory remington parts are replaced because they're known to have issues of one sort or another. When you're building a new rifle do you want the most possible accuracy or are you willing to take a chance on whether or not your factory parts going to function?

Easy decision on my part, which is why I don't build off of 700s anymore.


t
Could not have said better.... my smith has done hundreds of 700 builds... he was Kirby's smith before Kirby started building rifles... maybe he should have a permit to post here?
__________________
- Mark

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 03-13-2013, 04:23 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 649
Re: 7mm Rem Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
I take it you've never seen a 700 lug so far out of shape it takes a surface grinder to make it square? which would be why certains 'smiths don't waste their time with them. Look at ANY top shelf rifle maker out there & tell me which ones still use a factor bolt & lug...please. Trigger? None of the top tier, some of the budget minded projects sure.

The majority of factory remington parts are replaced because they're known to have issues of one sort or another. When you're building a new rifle do you want the most possible accuracy or are you willing to take a chance on whether or not your factory parts going to function?

Easy decision on my part, which is why I don't build off of 700s anymore.


t
I will give you a little advice. When you say top builder there are many guys that have more records that never got the fame or the glory because they didn’t have the internet. Look up Jerry Simonson out of Detroit Lakes MN. Surface ground factory recoil lug, factory bolt, trued Rem 700 action, Go see how many rifles that he built that hold BR records. Today everyone thinks you have to have an oversized PTG bolt, a jewel trigger and so on. If you want a lug and trigger fine and great that makes the smith’s job easier. If you think you need an oversized PTG bolt you don't. Sorry to the OP again. If anyone would like to discuss what I have said further send me a PM.
__________________
Fast, Flat, and Accurate
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC