Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics


Reply

7mm Rem Mag

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #127  
Old 03-13-2013, 01:57 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
Posts: 5,953
Re: 7mm Rem Mag

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
You are gonna tell me that the reason that most manufacturers design their actions with their names and logos and reputations at stake, on the Remington 700 actions, is b/c of a "bandwagon"???

That is the most obsurd thing I have ever heard.

I have had custom builds off Remington 7/700 actions and never had to replace ANYTHING on the action. Stock extractor, stock locking lugs, stock bolt face, stock everything. And woudl shoot 1-hole groups with no problems. Please tell me why you HAVE to replace all these items? I've never once had a 7/700 action fail in any way, shape, or form. Never had any metal fatigue, never had any parts failures, never had 1 single FTE out of the thousands of rounds put through them.
Yup, bandwagon.

I have a couple of stock Sendero's that are excellent shooters. They can do the job, no doubt about that. A lot of it is due to the barrel and the stock.

You don't "have to" replace anything but most smiths will encourage you to, including mine. One piece ported bolts are superior to the stock 700 bolt. Sako style extractors are much preferred to the 700 extractor. Integrated recoil lug is a better design. Flat bottomed receiver is better by most people's opinions. I can tune a howa trigger in about 5 min to a crisp 1.5 lbs. It takes about 30 min for me to tune a Rem trigger (old style) to about 2.5 lbs. Ever removed a Rem trigger then reattached it to the receiver? It's a royal PITA. Howa trigger is one screw. If you decide to upgrade to a Timney, you can get a 3 position safety for the Howa. To do that with the Rem, you need to replace the bolt shroud at a cost of about $125.

I think Chuck Hawks outlines quality features in an action very well.

Finest Bolt Action Rifles Ever Produced
__________________
- Mark

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 03-13-2013, 01:57 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NW Louisana
Posts: 307
Re: 7mm Rem Mag

MudRunner2005!! You know I'm in there with ya!! Lol!! Yur blood pressure is goin up again!!lol Remember the spaghetti monster!!! In some people's eyes, white is black an black is white!!! Remember the topic!! Lol!!! Advice on either a 7mag or 300! Even thought we all are guilty of debating 7mm vs 300 wm, the OP never really said any thing about a 300wm!! Now in saying that, mabey we should have been told that it was something differant! That being said, didn't th OP say that he setteled on a sendreo? I could be wrong(an I have been before)but isn't a sendreo a Remington 700?? If it is, the why in the hell are some people still trying to push what they like an want on someone who has already stated what he wants??

DT
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 03-13-2013, 02:09 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
Posts: 5,953
Re: 7mm Rem Mag

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Tinsley View Post
MudRunner2005!! You know I'm in there with ya!! Lol!! Yur blood pressure is goin up again!!lol Remember the spaghetti monster!!! In some people's eyes, white is black an black is white!!! Remember the topic!! Lol!!! Advice on either a 7mag or 300! Even thought we all are guilty of debating 7mm vs 300 wm, the OP never really said any thing about a 300wm!! Now in saying that, mabey we should have been told that it was something differant! That being said, didn't th OP say that he setteled on a sendreo? I could be wrong(an I have been before)but isn't a sendreo a Remington 700?? If it is, the why in the hell are some people still trying to push what they like an want on someone who has already stated what he wants??

DT
Dick, did you read the OP?

Quote:
Enough to kill all north americas big game out to 1000 yards? Some say go with .300....
Not trying to push anything, just giving the OP some more info. When I found out the current cost of a Sendero I decided to show him how he could do a custom for close to the same price. He can make up his own mind, I know what I would do for a few more bucks. Manners stock... Custom match grade barrel... Custom smithing? Yup, not much doubt in my mind.
__________________
- Mark

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 03-13-2013, 02:15 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Gillette, WY
Posts: 2,639
Re: 7mm Rem Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
...
You don't "have to" replace anything but most smiths will encourage you to, including mine. One piece ported bolts are superior to the stock 700 bolt. Sako style extractors are much preferred to the 700 extractor.. .


I know my 'smith did. When I had my 6-284 re-built, I get a call from Chad... Command decision time, your factory fire control feels like chit, I'm ordering you another one. A one piece PTG oversized bolt is what $150? Big deal, but I dern sure appreciate the fact that "good 'nuff" wasn't good enough in his eyes or standards.

Remington triggers... yep i've got a few of those.... sitting on a shelf somewhere

I'm more of a mini M-16 extractor guy myself due to the added safety factor but, I do have 3 rifles with Sako's on them; they work just fine.


t
__________________
"I, however, view ethics as an individual decision. My ethics are mine - and I won't explain or justify them to anyone else. I seek nobody's approval, just that of my own conscience. "

Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 03-13-2013, 02:36 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
Posts: 5,953
Re: 7mm Rem Mag

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
I know my 'smith did. When I had my 6-284 re-built, I get a call from Chad... Command decision time, your factory fire control feels like chit, I'm ordering you another one. A one piece PTG oversized bolt is what $150? Big deal, but I dern sure appreciate the fact that "good 'nuff" wasn't good enough in his eyes or standards.

Remington triggers... yep i've got a few of those.... sitting on a shelf somewhere

I'm more of a mini M-16 extractor guy myself due to the added safety factor but, I do have 3 rifles with Sako's on them; they work just fine.


t
Chad is a quality smith for sure and a great guy to work with! Nothing but the best for him. You're lucky to have him so close. Got a couple of good ones up this way as well.

I went ahead and got the whole shootin works, firing pin and aluminum shroud Sako extractor kit, timney trigger and heavy duty pinned recoil lug. All that cost me about $500 or so including smithing. That is cost above and beyond needed for the Howa. I did sell the old bolt for about $100.
__________________
- Mark

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 03-13-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 03-13-2013, 02:52 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NW Louisana
Posts: 307
Re: 7mm Rem Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Dick, did you read the OP?

Not trying to push anything, just giving the OP some more info. When I found out the current cost of a Sendero I decided to show him how he could do a custom for close to the same price. He can make up his own mind, I know what I would do for a few more bucks. Manners stock... Custom match grade barrel... Custom smithing? Yup, not much doubt in my mind.
Look! What mabey good for some, might not be good for others! I know what the tread was originally was about! Why not stick to it? If whoever it might be wants whatever, then share your info an move on! That's all I'm saying! If southpa wants a sendreo, let him buy one! If he doesn't, that's his business! I honestly think(an I don't know him) if he haze any question's about anything else(he will ask!) like I said, it's ok to share info an thoughts! That's what we are here for. An I for one really don't think that anybody will intentionally steer anybody wrong!! Just because someone has a differant opinion or choice don't meen that others have to sell their point an hammer it home! It's ok to share info an move on! You don't have to win!! Nothing to win! Now I know I said earlier that I was done! (Shame on me for not sticking to it)! This time gentlemen, I'm out of here!! Good luck to all an safe shooting!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 03-13-2013, 03:10 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 616
Re: 7mm Rem Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpa View Post
yes have decided to go with the sendero but for the sake of this current thread i never specified which .300 cartridge i was considering. Somehow a WM got the popular arguement and there was just plenty of great info floating around that i myself never mentioned the .300 RUM. Does the RUM change things? As for the 7 STW, ive heard about it but know nothing about it other than ive heard it eats up barrels....Does the 7STW trump the 7RM and the .300WM considering all of the factors we have discussed on this topic? How hard/expensive would it be to convert the 7Rm to STW?

MudRunner2005-
thanks for your consideration, i will keep your offer in mind!
Dick, the problem is that here was southpa's last post, which opened up the discussion a lot more. I acutally agree with what Montana threw out there: with the price of Senderos right now, it isn't a terrible idea to consider a custom. However, southpa might want to open up a whole new thread for that or this one is going to go to 100 pages before long! Hahaha!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC