Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

7mm Rem Mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 12:25 PM
Silver Member

Re: 7mm Rem Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Next time you're in a gun store, work a Vanguard action and a 700 action. The Vanguards are definitely tighter and smoother not to mention the bolt and recoil lug issues.
Well S$&(;:"@t!!! Here goes!! I don't have to go to the gun store,to work the actions. I've owned both!! Now!! (Everybody pay attintion) I prefer the 700 action over the vanguard. I just think its better. That's just MHO!! If whoever, likes the vanguard action,then so be it!! (Choices!!!) Now! I will say this! Unless it is a custom machined action,(made out of billet steel) the Mark V action is the way to go! Very strong,safe,&reliable!! That's just my 2ct's!!! Still haven't found that spaghetti monster!! Lol!!!!
Old 03-13-2013, 12:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
I will add, that a very well known and respected smith on this site rates the Howa's, Mark V's and 700's about the same in strength. At least that's what he told me in a PM exchange.

I do agree with that, round action are as strong as round actions. The MK V is also extremely stong.

Mud-
I have had several discussion with engineers who had no trouble telling me flat out, the Win Mod 70 is a good bit stonger than the 700; which by design fall in with Howa & Savage from a strength standpoint.

t

Old 03-13-2013, 12:32 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
I do agree with that, round action are as strong as round actions. The MK V is also extremely stong.

Mud-
I have had several discussion with engineers who had no trouble telling me flat out, the Win Mod 70 is a good bit stonger than the 700; which by design fall in with Howa & Savage from a strength standpoint.

t
Mud!!! Lol!! Now this is gettin just plain damn funny! You should've took your own advise!! Lol!!! Better side step this one!! Remember the spaghetti monster???? Lol!

DT
Old 03-13-2013, 12:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post

Mud-

t
Actually the Mark V and Howas are flat bottom actions which is another reason I think they're better than a 700.

I'll let you guys chew on this for a while

Finest Bolt Action Rifles Ever Produced

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-13-2013, 01:07 PM
Platinum Member

I have owned a Howa 1500 bolt gun before. It was a pile. So I traded it off towards a Browning A-Bolt II. Which is, IMO, also one of the best actions ever made.

Rem 700
Browning A-Bolt II
Weatherby Mark-V

Those are my top 3, and will always be. Fourth on the list is the Ruger 77 MKII action (yes I know it is based off Mouser K98, so is the Win 70).

Once again, simply my opinions.

Take them as your own, or disregard them completely. It's up to you, and nobody is making you believe MY opinions.

I do ask this one question though......If the 700 is not one of the best actions ever designed, then why is it that SO many aftermarket manufacturers base their own actions off the 700's proprietary design, instead of basing them off of something else?

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I do ask this one question though......If the 700 is not one of the best actions ever designed, then why is it that SO many aftermarket manufacturers base their own actions off the 700's proprietary design, instead of basing them off of something else?
Simply because everyone basically jumped on the 700 bandwagon. As a custom action maker, you will sell a lot more 700 clones because there are more aftermarket components for them.

I have a Model 70 22-250 that I actually like better than the Howas, except the noisy saftey.

The 700 is an OK action but when you have to replace everything for a good custom build and all you are left with is the reciever, that right there should tell you something.

Also, outside the US, the Howa is more popular in most countries.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-13-2013, 01:36 PM
Platinum Member

You are gonna tell me that the reason that most manufacturers design their actions with their names and logos and reputations at stake, on the Remington 700 actions, is b/c of a "bandwagon"???

That is the most obsurd thing I have ever heard.

I have had custom builds off Remington 7/700 actions and never had to replace ANYTHING on the action. Stock extractor, stock locking lugs, stock bolt face, stock everything. And woudl shoot 1-hole groups with no problems. Please tell me why you HAVE to replace all these items? I've never once had a 7/700 action fail in any way, shape, or form. Never had any metal fatigue, never had any parts failures, never had 1 single FTE out of the thousands of rounds put through them.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.