Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics


Reply

7mm Rem Mag

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #113  
Old 03-13-2013, 11:35 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NW Louisana
Posts: 307
Re: 7mm Rem Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
You think a Rem 700 is inferior to a Vanguard/Howa action? Wow......

I'm not even gonna touch on this discussion.
I said that I was out, but I just can't turn this one down!!! MudRunner! I'm on your side!! Don't even touch this one!!!! Lol!!!! I'm still looking for that damn spaghetti monster!!!! Lol!!!

DT
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 03-13-2013, 11:36 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
Posts: 5,953
Re: 7mm Rem Mag

Yup, I have several of both. The Howa's have one piece ported bolt with Sako style extractors and beefy integral recoil lug.

Currently have 2 Howa action projects int the works and 1 Rem 700. Replaced the bolt with a PTG one piece and M16 style extractor kit and replaced the recoil lug in the 700. Cost a whole lot more than the Howa's to do.
__________________
- Mark

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 03-13-2013, 11:40 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Gillette, WY
Posts: 2,640
Re: 7mm Rem Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
...With the cost of a rechamber you could put a brake on 300 WM or RUM.
Good point, I hadn't thought about that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
You think a Rem 700 is inferior to a Vanguard/Howa action? Wow......

I'm not even gonna touch on this discussion.

I can see a couple areas where compared stock to stock, the Howa has an advantage but that's about the extend of my Howa knowledge.


t
__________________
"I, however, view ethics as an individual decision. My ethics are mine - and I won't explain or justify them to anyone else. I seek nobody's approval, just that of my own conscience. "

Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 03-13-2013, 12:01 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 5,877
Re: 7mm Rem Mag

Every stock action has atleast 1 flaw. But I find there to be less flaws in the 700's (stock for stock) than the Vanguards, Howas, and Savages.

To me, the best and strongest action ever built (non ULR actions, like .408, 50, etc) is the Weatherby Mark-V. The next best is the 700.

This is simply my personal opinion. Everyone has what they like and prefer, which is what makes the world go round.

The reason I think the Mark-V's prevail is they are all ultra-mag rated, VERY beefy and strong, and have 9 locking lugs.
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 03-13-2013, 12:09 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
Posts: 5,953
Re: 7mm Rem Mag

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Tinsley View Post
I said that I was out, but I just can't turn this one down!!! MudRunner! I'm on your side!! Don't even touch this one!!!! Lol!!!! I'm still looking for that damn spaghetti monster!!!! Lol!!!

DT
Next time you're in a gun store, work a Vanguard action and a 700 action. The Vanguards are definitely tighter and smoother not to mention the bolt and recoil lug issues.
__________________
- Mark

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 03-13-2013, 12:14 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
Posts: 5,953
Re: 7mm Rem Mag

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Every stock action has atleast 1 flaw. But I find there to be less flaws in the 700's (stock for stock) than the Vanguards, Howas, and Savages.

To me, the best and strongest action ever built (non ULR actions, like .408, 50, etc) is the Weatherby Mark-V. The next best is the 700.

This is simply my personal opinion. Everyone has what they like and prefer, which is what makes the world go round.

The reason I think the Mark-V's prevail is they are all ultra-mag rated, VERY beefy and strong, and have 9 locking lugs.
Way back when, Weatherby contracted Howa to start making the Vanguard action using the Mark V as a model. There are a lot of similarities between the Howa actions and the Mark V including both being cast recievers.
__________________
- Mark

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 03-13-2013, 12:18 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
Posts: 5,953
Re: 7mm Rem Mag

I will add, that a very well known and respected smith on this site rates the Howa's, Mark V's and 700's about the same in strength. At least that's what he told me in a PM exchange.
__________________
- Mark

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC