Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

7mm Rem Mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 11:35 AM
Silver Member

Re: 7mm Rem Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
You think a Rem 700 is inferior to a Vanguard/Howa action? Wow......

I'm not even gonna touch on this discussion.
I said that I was out, but I just can't turn this one down!!! MudRunner! I'm on your side!! Don't even touch this one!!!! Lol!!!! I'm still looking for that damn spaghetti monster!!!! Lol!!!

DT
Old 03-13-2013, 11:36 AM
Platinum Member

Yup, I have several of both. The Howa's have one piece ported bolt with Sako style extractors and beefy integral recoil lug.

Currently have 2 Howa action projects int the works and 1 Rem 700. Replaced the bolt with a PTG one piece and M16 style extractor kit and replaced the recoil lug in the 700. Cost a whole lot more than the Howa's to do.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-13-2013, 11:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
...With the cost of a rechamber you could put a brake on 300 WM or RUM.
Good point, I hadn't thought about that.

Quote:
You think a Rem 700 is inferior to a Vanguard/Howa action? Wow......

I'm not even gonna touch on this discussion.

I can see a couple areas where compared stock to stock, the Howa has an advantage but that's about the extend of my Howa knowledge.

t

Old 03-13-2013, 12:01 PM
Platinum Member

Every stock action has atleast 1 flaw. But I find there to be less flaws in the 700's (stock for stock) than the Vanguards, Howas, and Savages.

To me, the best and strongest action ever built (non ULR actions, like .408, 50, etc) is the Weatherby Mark-V. The next best is the 700.

This is simply my personal opinion. Everyone has what they like and prefer, which is what makes the world go round.

The reason I think the Mark-V's prevail is they are all ultra-mag rated, VERY beefy and strong, and have 9 locking lugs.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Tinsley View Post
I said that I was out, but I just can't turn this one down!!! MudRunner! I'm on your side!! Don't even touch this one!!!! Lol!!!! I'm still looking for that damn spaghetti monster!!!! Lol!!!

DT
Next time you're in a gun store, work a Vanguard action and a 700 action. The Vanguards are definitely tighter and smoother not to mention the bolt and recoil lug issues.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-13-2013, 12:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Every stock action has atleast 1 flaw. But I find there to be less flaws in the 700's (stock for stock) than the Vanguards, Howas, and Savages.

To me, the best and strongest action ever built (non ULR actions, like .408, 50, etc) is the Weatherby Mark-V. The next best is the 700.

This is simply my personal opinion. Everyone has what they like and prefer, which is what makes the world go round.

The reason I think the Mark-V's prevail is they are all ultra-mag rated, VERY beefy and strong, and have 9 locking lugs.
Way back when, Weatherby contracted Howa to start making the Vanguard action using the Mark V as a model. There are a lot of similarities between the Howa actions and the Mark V including both being cast recievers.

~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-13-2013, 12:18 PM
Platinum Member

I will add, that a very well known and respected smith on this site rates the Howa's, Mark V's and 700's about the same in strength. At least that's what he told me in a PM exchange.

~ John Quincy Adams