Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

7mm Rem Mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 09:10 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm Rem Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpa View Post
yes have decided to go with the sendero but for the sake of this current thread i never specified which .300 cartridge i was considering. Somehow a WM got the popular arguement and there was just plenty of great info floating around that i myself never mentioned the .300 RUM. Does the RUM change things? As for the 7 STW, ive heard about it but know nothing about it other than ive heard it eats up barrels....Does the 7STW trump the 7RM and the .300WM considering all of the factors we have discussed on this topic? How hard/expensive would it be to convert the 7Rm to STW?

MudRunner2005-
thanks for your consideration, i will keep your offer in mind!
They don't eat up barrels like most folks who've never owned one will claim they do. I've had my Sendero SF that was a factory built 7STW for 11 years now (since new). Barrel is still perfect. Granted, I've probably only put a couple hundred down the pipe over the last 11 years, and since reloading recently I have been shooting it alot more.

Barrel life is not the best, but it certainly is not the worst. The RUM's eat barrels up significantly quicker than the STW does.

It shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred bucks to have the chamber reamed and then have the head-spacing trued when he re-installs the barrel.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:15 AM
Gold Member

You know where I stand on the 300 RUM As I mentioned, I chose that over the 7 mag, 7 RUM, and 300 win. The major deciding factors for me were flatter trajectory (only about a foot of bullet drop at 400 yards means I could easily hold for that shot instead of dialing) and more killing power further out. I could also use one round for all big game animals in Colorado including antelope, deer, elk, and moose.

I know it is a little added recoil, but nothing I can't handle without a brake. I have considered a brake for it, but I do a lot of hunting where it could be closer quick shots without the opportunity to put in ear plugs and my hearing is bad enough the way it is! The only other downfall I saw was barrel life, which didn't concern me too much. By the time I fire 1,000+ rounds through the barrel and it is shot, I will want a new barrel anyway!
Old 03-13-2013, 09:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpa View Post
yes have decided to go with the sendero but for the sake of this current thread i never specified which .300 cartridge i was considering. Somehow a WM got the popular arguement and there was just plenty of great info floating around that i myself never mentioned the .300 RUM. Does the RUM change things? As for the 7 STW, ive heard about it but know nothing about it other than ive heard it eats up barrels....Does the 7STW trump the 7RM and the .300WM considering all of the factors we have discussed on this topic? How hard/expensive would it be to convert the 7Rm to STW?

MudRunner2005-
thanks for your consideration, i will keep your offer in mind!

The RUM is one bad boy, properly setup & coupled with the 230s should trump pretty much everything except the BIG 338's. The down side is, you're touching off another 10-15grains of powder, that equals a pretty significant increase of recoil. I would not set one up without a brake. You're going to be in the 90.0 - 93.0 area as far as powder charge vs 75.0-80.0 for the STW. I didn't hit the recoil calculator because I didn't think it was necessary, 50grains more bullet + 15grains more powder that's gonna kick a little.

Now as far as bbl life. The STW & RUM are both uber performance cartridges & both will toast a bbl relatively quickly... well, quicker than the RM or WM anyway.

Accurate shooter's bbl life calculator states:

7STW w/180 Berger
75grains of H-1000
BBL Life= 1309 rounds

300RUM w/230 Berger
91grains of H-1000
BBL Life- 1230 rounds

Not exactly a deal breaker at 79 rounds, then again, that is simulated data. Get them hot & continue to shoot, you can torch one in well less than 1k rounds.

MudRunner is right on, a rechamber job is ~$150 & not a bad idea at all. One thing I was cautioned on was, sometimes the reamer can get a little goofy & FUBAR your brand new barrel.... i've had a couple rechambered & it has never happened but is possible.

t

Old 03-13-2013, 09:44 AM
Platinum Member

If a Smith goofs my chamber, they owe me a new barrel, and the labor to put it on.

Yes, it's possible for something bad to happen, but find a good reputable smith and you should be just fine. The odds are very slim of something going wrong during a routine chamber reaming. I am lucky to have several good smiths in my area. We have several here on the site. I bet Kirby could do it pretty quickly, too. Rechambering don't take long at all.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 03-13-2013, 09:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
If a Smith goofs my chamber, they owe me a new barrel, and the labor to put it on.

I hear ya brother, I feel the same way. Just a word of caution was all. Good luck OP & don't keep us hanging for too long!

t

Old 03-13-2013, 11:14 AM
Platinum Member

Rechambering to an STW will get you about another 150 fps, so a little better external ballistics than the WM, but the WM sti ll has better terminal numbers. With the cost of a rechamber you could put a brake on 300 WM or RUM.

I am looking on Gunbroker at Sendero's. Are they really costing $1650 new?

I could go find an old Vanguard/Howa for about $200-$300, (which IMO is a better action than a 700) and
Custom match grade barrel $350
Manners Stock $550
Smithing $600

And have a custom grade rifle for about $1800

All components superior to the Sendero for another $150 or so.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-13-2013, 11:22 AM
Platinum Member

You think a Rem 700 is inferior to a Vanguard/Howa action? Wow......

I'm not even gonna touch on this discussion.

Quote: