Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

7mm Rem Mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 08:09 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm Rem Mag

Some of you guys may not know that the current thread came from this previous thread.

Sendero Advice

The OP is planning on getting a Sendero. This years Sendero options include 264 WM, 7 RM, 300 WM, 7 RUM and 300 RUM. Other cartridges are not options... unless he changes his mind about the platform.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-12-2013, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member

Then my vote would be buythe Sendero in 7 RM and bore the chamber immediately to 7mmSTW before ever firing a shot. I love my 7mm RM, but for 1000 yards and beyond abilities, I wouldn't even fool with it....That is simply my opinion. If I had the coin, that is precisely what I'd do this very day.

I would never intentionally steer a fellow gun nut and LR hunter into a bad direction, purposefully. I am trying to be as honest and helpful as I can.

I don't like the RUM's. They have horrible throat erosion and horrible barrel life, yes, even compared to the STW, which is a moderate in that category...not the best, but certainly not the worst.

And to the OP, if you do go through with the 7RM or buy it and convert to 7STW, I can give you some smokin loads to try that should shoot nicelg out of your Sendero. Just let me know if I can be of any belp in any way. Feel free to PM with questions or anything. Just trying to help a fellow shooter.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:35 PM

yes have decided to go with the sendero but for the sake of this current thread i never specified which .300 cartridge i was considering. Somehow a WM got the popular arguement and there was just plenty of great info floating around that i myself never mentioned the .300 RUM. Does the RUM change things? As for the 7 STW, ive heard about it but know nothing about it other than ive heard it eats up barrels....Does the 7STW trump the 7RM and the .300WM considering all of the factors we have discussed on this topic? How hard/expensive would it be to convert the 7Rm to STW?

MudRunner2005-
thanks for your consideration, i will keep your offer in mind!
Old 03-12-2013, 09:45 PM
Silver Member

Gentlemen!!!! I'm out!! southpa,again good luck in your choices!!

DT
Old 03-12-2013, 10:26 PM
Platinum Member

If you have cocerns about the 300 WM recoil, don't even think about a 300 RUM unless you brake it or use a slip-on decelerator recoil but pad. That said, the 300 RUM will get you an additional 150-200 fps over the WM using the 215 Hybrid... or shoot the 230 Hybrid at about the same velocity or a little more than the 215... I would use the 230 and will be as soon as I get some.

It will basically give you about another 100-150 yds of "effective range" over the WM and 7RM.

For your stated goal, the 300 RUM would be my choice because it will give you more a good bit more smack @ 1000 yds. The barrel life will be about the same as the 7 RM.

There ya go, short and sweet.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-12-2013, 11:08 PM
Gold Member

Southpa,

Iím starting to think of the kid who walks into the candy store for the first time with his friends and looks behind the counter with all those choices. All of those goodies so tempting and the mind running on anticipation just how each one would taste. But the little kid only has enough for one candy. The baker shows the kid all his favorites assuring each one is made to perfection... the choices the choices. Pick the white one, says a friend. No pick the yellow one says another. Maybe itís time to leave your friends outside and pick the one that you have that gut feeling for.

Iím confident whatever decision you make wonít be the wrong decision. Learn as much as you can with your selection and strive for perfecting the rest of the equation. LR shooting can be a giant beast with the gun only one piece of the pie. Research, practice and when possible find someone with experience to assist when you have difficulties. You can always expand once that first success and addiction sets in but we all have to start somewhere.

Good luck and I wish you the best.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
The OP, being a novice shooter, is NOT John Burns.... hell why stop there? Lets give German Salazar a call... or better yet, lets call David Tubb. You sir are comparing apples to oranges.

A well built & fitted rifle WILL mitigate recoil but it cannot make up the difference in internal performance.

t
I have shot against/ with German ; but not david. AMAZING with iron sights no less!