Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

7mm Rem Mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 03:31 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm Rem Mag

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Tinsley View Post
Got to go with dakor!! To southpa, choose the one you feel more comfortable with! Shoot it, reload for it(if you choose too),get the feel for it! 7mm mag,300win mag, both are good choices. Whichever you choose, I wish you the very best of luck an very best results for whatever you choose to pursue in the field!! Good Hunting!!

DT
With that I can agree, it's all about priorities

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-12-2013, 03:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
One more post to separate the subjective from the objective.

No one can say concisely, in quantitative terms, how well a particular cartridge will perform on a particular animal at a particular distance. We can make educated guesses based on past performance which are often quite different result wise. For the most part we can make a fairly good guess, but when we approach certain limits like "opening velocity" of a bullet, etc, we are starting to roll the dice.

Your parameters are on or near "the edge" of both cartridges you are considering.

What is not up for debate is the proven ballistics and the terminal effect potential of each cartridge based on hard facts such as bullet size. Physics is physics. Science is science.

It is reasonable and rational to say that a bullet with 20% more mass has a greater potential for killing power. It is also reasonable to say that potential is proportional to the difference.

What is subjective, is how those numbers translate down range in a given situation. But there can be no rational argument that assumes the smaller will equal or out perform the larger, all else being equal.

Other factors and constraints such as recoil, costs, etc are certainly important and should be weighed. However, those factors may also affect desired end goal.

The question is, where are the priorities?
Actually Physics is a science. It's the scientific study of how gravity affect different things, including velocity.

You keep throwing out this subjective from objective....What are you quoting someone's physics paper they wrote? Just using scientific words doesn't prove you know anything. LOL

Just b/c I know how to check your pulse, temperature, and use an EKG doesn't mean I'm a doctor...

You are trying to win this thing WAAAAY too hard. I guess you have something to prove to yourself. Cause whatever you're doing is proving to me the opposite of what you are trying to do.

I don't want to be enemies with anyone on here. I love a healthy debate, but this debate has long lost it's sensability, logic, and reasoning. All of the scientific data in the world can tell you one thing. But just when you think you know it all, you'll be proven wrong. Science is science. Most physics is theoretical, with the exception of the stuff we know as facts vs theories.

If I told you there was, for a fact, a flying spaghetti monster hovering above you right now, would you believe me? Of course not! B/c I can't physically prove it.

I'm just saying that sure, generic scientific thought process mixed with mathematical principles would tell you that a .308 caliber bullet of heavier mass would do more phycial damage......But until you shoot them side x side at the same time, you will never know. Just b/c sceince & math says so-and-so is correct, doesn't mean that when applied to real-world circumstances, that the math & science can't be proven to be completely wrong. Its happened alot in the past. How do you think that everything man made has a trial and error. Just b/c the calculations add up, doesn't mean in an applied physics situation that it will do precisely that. Lots of other external factors can play a part in things that people sometimes don't think of.

I would love for someone to be able to prove me right, or you right. But I have a feeling that even if someone showed you 100% factual evidence in front of your face, you still would try to argue with it.

And for that, I have no further input other than humorous commentary and quips for this thread.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
With that I can agree, it's all about priorities
Pretty sure I said this WAY back on page 6, post # 40.......

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 03-12-2013, 03:54 PM
Silver Member

I love spaghetti!!!!! Where in the hell is he????? LOL!!!!

DT
Old 03-12-2013, 04:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post

You are trying to win this thing WAAAAY too hard.
Mudrunner, I don't want any enemies either and I consider no one my enemy unless they mean me or mine malice.

I don't mean to offend you, but you really do have a comprehension problem at least with me. I am not trying to win anything. What ever decision the OP makes wont make me a winner or looser.

Let's put this into another perspective.

If someone asks me which is more comfortable to shoot without a brake, a 7mm or a 300 WM? I will tell them the 7mm.

If someone asks me which is a better LR hunting rifle on elk out to 1000 yds, a 7mm or a 300 WM, I will tell them the 300 WM.

Two different questions with two different answers. Need to figure out which is more important.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-12-2013, 05:13 PM
Platinum Member

Now that we're back to the main part of the discussion, and the OP knows what he wants, he could always go with 2 other options since he now has a 7mm RemMag.

He could just get his gun chamber bored to a 7mm/300 WinMag and get the best of both worlds....

Or just buy a standardized caliber like a 7mmSTW that stomps the 300 WM in ballistics and performance at 1000 and beyond, and can handle that 180 Berger Hunting VLD like nobody's business.

I myself, am currently experimenting with the 180 Berger Hunting VLD Match bullets in my STW. And when I can find a box (of 100) of of them available I will try more with my 7mm RemMag, and might even (just for fun) try some in my 7mm-08, which I bet would be a nasty whitetail setup for sub-500 yard shooting.

However, once again, it all comes down to the OP's preferences. If he bought a 7mm Rem Mag, all he'd have to do to re-chamber for either 7mmSTW (which gets my vote, of course) or 7mm/300 WM is have his chamber reamed out. Same bolt-face diameter, same everything else. But alot more horsepower down range. Not to mention the same magical flat-shooting trajectory that all .284's experience.

Quote:
Old 03-12-2013, 07:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Now that we're back to the main part of the discussion, and the OP knows what he wants, he could always go with 2 other options since he now has a 7mm RemMag.

He could just get his gun chamber bored to a 7mm/300 WinMag and get the best of both worlds....

Or just buy a standardized caliber like a 7mmSTW that stomps the 300 WM in ballistics and performance at 1000 and beyond, and can handle that 180 Berger Hunting VLD like nobody's business.

I myself, am currently experimenting with the 180 Berger Hunting VLD Match bullets in my STW. And when I can find a box (of 100) of of them available I will try more with my 7mm RemMag, and might even (just for fun) try some in my 7mm-08, which I bet would be a nasty whitetail setup for sub-500 yard shooting.

However, once again, it all comes down to the OP's preferences. If he bought a 7mm Rem Mag, all he'd have to do to re-chamber for either 7mmSTW (which gets my vote, of course) or 7mm/300 WM is have his chamber reamed out. Same bolt-face diameter, same everything else. But alot more horsepower down range. Not to mention the same magical flat-shooting trajectory that all .284's experience.
Great post!! Yes the OP can go with differant options.(when he's ready)! Me, I'm in the process of a build now as we speak!7/300 mag! 28in kreiger barrel,700 rem action, h&s stock, Timmy trigger,NF scope!(gonna be a smoker)! Now I know that there are many choices out there as far as barrels,stocks,triggers,etc,but that's what I wanted.(just figgered I might ought to say that for clarity)! I own 3 more 7mm mags(I like em)1 257wtby mag(great round)an yes,I also own a 300 win mag(rem 5r),an it is a great round also!! Again to the OP, hope everything goes your way! Later on when you feel like it mabey do some wildcatting!! It's a wonderful world!!

DT