close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

7mm Dakota Kit Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-15-2014, 10:29 AM
Gold Member

7mm Dakota Kit Rifle

I can't stand it anymore........I gotta try it. I keep reading about pre-chambered and drop in barrels and I intend to find out just what a person can expect from a basically "bolt together" project.

I "accidentally" purchased a like new Stevens 200 .270 the other day for $239.00. When my wife isn't looking I'm going to order a varmint weight barrel from 4D chambered in 7mm Dakota $360.00. Going to get a magnum bolt head from PTG (maybe a fluted bolt as well). I am going to form my brass from 300 ultra mag, mostly because I have a bunch of them, so basically it will be a 7mm Dakota with a rebated rim. Will add some nice bottom metal and bolt it all into a good quality (likely laminated) stock. 20 moa one piece base and likely a Vortex scope should finish it off. Haven't researched what trigger I want to use yet.

Not really trying to build a bargain basement rifle here but I think the whole project should come in at a very reasonable price. Be nice if it shoots well too

Any input from you gurus out there will be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
7mm Dakota Kit Rifle-stevens1.jpg   7mm Dakota Kit Rifle-stevens2.jpg  

....Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure....... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. Theodore Roosevelt

Unread 06-15-2014, 10:51 AM
Silver Member

Re: 7mm Dakota Kit Rifle

Maybe I can give a little encouragement to your project. I purchased a cheap plastic stock Savage .223 26" heavy barrel for testing. After about 2,000 rounds I certainly knew what it liked and took it squeek shooting. (The throat eroded .021" during the test.)

My adult daughter wanted to go deer hunting so I ordered a very light 22" take off barrel from the 'net for $75. She never went hunting so I took it and killed a couple deer with 60 grain Nolsers. Both exited.

I decided to convert it to a .257 Weatherby so ordered a .25-06 barrel from Midway for $130. The bolt face was replaced with a magnum. After deciding on a load I fired one shot from a cold barrel every morning for six days. The group measured 1 1/16". I took it hunting and killed a couple deer with Barnes TTSX 100 bullets.

I wasn't try to cut corners, just playing and having fun.
Unread 06-16-2014, 09:25 PM
Platinum Member

Look into the rifle basix trigger. Haven't used one yet, but the go to for Stevens/savage builds.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Unread 06-17-2014, 08:23 AM
Gold Member

I have 1 in the 7 millimeter 300 win mag that I put together and have shot 1 minute 1 mile
Unread 06-17-2014, 09:01 AM
Platinum Member

Rolling your own and having it work is OMG fun and satisfying.

I wish you much fun and joy with your project.
Unread 06-17-2014, 06:25 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfseaman View Post
Rolling your own and having it work is OMG fun and satisfying.

I wish you much fun and joy with your project.
Thanks! I always have several projects on the go but with the exception of a couple barrels I set back and re-chambered (back when I had access to a lathe) I have always had someone else install my barrels. I am really looking forward to this project as I have always wanted to check out the 7mm Dakota. Fortunately I decided a couple months ago I was going to build a rifle with that chambering and had ordered dies. The dies came in the same day I bought the rifle. Maybe it's a sign
....Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure....... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. Theodore Roosevelt
Unread 06-20-2014, 06:22 PM
Bronze Member

I built on the model 10 action, ended up with an adjustable McMillan A5, went with the sharpshooter supply comp trigger. I got to try the rifle basix and the target accutrigger on the line after an fclass match, the ss comp trigger was the way to go, loved it.

Had a rock creek in 260 on mine.

she was sold a while back, it was an 18" barreled 308 with a badger fte sitting in a choate tactical stock before I decided to really go all out, I wish I would have left it alone.