Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

7mm Build advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 01:20 PM

Re: 7mm Build advice

I am also doing almost the same thing. I sent my Howa to Mcgowen and am having it re barreled 280AI in a Shilen #2 1:9 twist 24", squared/lapped. I already have a Timney trigger and Medalist. It wasn't designed to be a lite weight though and should come in around 8.5 w/scope. This action is blued and the barrel is CM, so, I'm going to Cerakote it myself (I'll let ya know how that goes

For a lite-weight rifle: I'm rebarreling my Rem m 7 and keeping it 7mm-08. Barrel will be Shilen #1 in 24 CM 1:9. (I'm building this riffle specifically for the Accubond 150 LR). I'm going to add a Timney, and Kevlar 24oz stock or go all out on the 12oz Stock (?). I'm going to convert it to an ADL to loose the bottom medal or find an aluminum replacement. The Bases and rings are already Aluminum. I 'm still deciding on glass. I'm also going to Cerakote it.

My steps: 1. What ya going to shoot with it? Targets, coyotes, deer elk. 2. Choose the caliber. 3. Choose the bullet ie. Heavy or light 4. Choose the twist (talk with whoever is rebarreling it) 5. Choose the weight of rifle and barrel length(stand hunting you can use a heavy/long rifle, stalking you can use a medium rifle, back packing=light). 6. Send the barreled action to your gunsmith (have him square everything and lap the lugs, flute if your going to, etc) 7. Choose the stock-I bed my own...its easy and there's plenty of videos) 8. Choose rings/bases, bottom medal, scope. 8. Cerakote or bead blast or blue, etc. Again, I'm going to try to Cerakote it myself.

Personally, I like going in steps and feeling the changes as it progresses. No need to add change rings/base at first, or even change the scope or stock initially.

I don't anticipate getting the Howa back until June and I haven't even sent the Rem in yet. So, I guess I'm saying there isn't a thing wrong with doing it a step at a time and adding stuff as you go. Go for it! and keep us posted.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:39 PM

I just finished a 7mmLRM for a Nebraska and Wyoming Whitetail/Mule Deer/ Elk gun. Got another one in the works for my buddy that lives in Nebraska. The gun can be built in steps like you want, but the action work, bolt and barrel should be one step. Then you can select a stock, trigger etc.. as the funds are available. Very sweet shooting rifle! Len posted a range report for his 7mmLRM at this link:

Len's new 7 LRM - first day at the range

I recommend this caliber to any of my customers that are looking for a long range deer/elk rifle. Mine has a 8 twist barrel to shoot the 195 Bergers when they are available.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:14 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for all of the responses! I think that I am on the right track! I will begin doing some research on gunsmiths and some caliber research! Thanks again for all of your responses.