Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

7mm Build advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 11:04 AM
Bronze Member

7mm Build advice

I currently have a Rem 700 CDL in a 7mm and I am looking at doing a build in the same caliber. I am wanting to do the build in steps. I would like to have the action trued and blueprinted and recoil lug and barrel installed first. Then when funds become available have it cerakoted, purchase an after market trigger and lastly purchase a synthetic stock. I do not want to shoot the rifle until the build is totally complete. This project is just a side project that I really dont want to dump the total amount for right away.

My question is do you think that this process is feasable or a total waste of time for myself and the gunsmith? Where would your first step be, second and third etc.? What twist for the 7mm? Barrel Length?

My goal is to eventually have a lightweight gun to pack in for elk and mule deer. I would like the barrel to have flutes and a sporter type barrel and am leaning towards a B&C medalist stock with a timney trigger.

Any constructive advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for all of your suggestions!
Old 02-18-2013, 11:48 AM
Silver Member

Re: 7mm Build advice

A light weight pack gun a would like maybe a 24-26" #4-5. My rifle weighs 10.5lbs with a 26" #6 in a mcmillan stock and luepy scope.

Not sure what bullet you wanna shoot but for my next barrel ill be going with a #5 or light palma fluted to 28" to take advantage of slow powders for the 180 vld.

I dont think its a waste of time. I imagine lots of people just do build step by step. And if your not going to shoot till its done you could also stock pile everything and build when you have everything.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:17 PM
Gold Member

For a 7mm RM I'd go with a #5 or #6 sporter contour finished at 28" with a 1 in 9" twist. I'd also do a custom chamber throated long for a 180 Berger so you could push them at 3000+ fps without excess pressure. A fluted #6 contour will put you in at around 11 lbs with optics and a #5 would be in the 9.5-10.0 lb range depending on how you have it set up with stock and optics.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:40 PM
Silver Member

I'm currently doing this very same build! Much like you funds are limiting my progress. I sent my 7mm RM Sendero to Benchmark Barrels back in January. They are cleaning up the action, rebarreling in a fluted 26" Sendero contour, and installing a new recoil lug. I went with Benchmark mainly because of great reviews here as well as other sites, and the fact that they were very competitive in price and had the best lead time.
I'm going to have it cerakoted at a later date when the funds recover. After that I'm constantly watching the classified's here while saving up for a Manners MCS T. The wife bought me a Huskemaw for Christmas and its killing me to look at it on my desk every day!! I hope to be shooting around mid April.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:41 PM
Silver Member

Oh, I forgot to mention I went with the 1:9" twist at the reccommendation of the guys at benchmark. It will handle the 168 Bergers and the Barnes 145 LRX that I love to hunt with.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
I'm currently doing this very same build! Much like you funds are limiting my progress. I sent my 7mm RM Sendero to Benchmark Barrels back in January. They are cleaning up the action, rebarreling in a fluted 26" Sendero contour, and installing a new recoil lug. I went with Benchmark mainly because of great reviews here as well as other sites, and the fact that they were very competitive in price and had the best lead time.
I'm going to have it cerakoted at a later date when the funds recover. After that I'm constantly watching the classified's here while saving up for a Manners MCS T. The wife bought me a Huskemaw for Christmas and its killing me to look at it on my desk every day!! I hope to be shooting around mid April.
The problem with that is that it's a 9-10lbs finished rifle and then you add the weight of scope and mounts/rings.

He's looking for a light weight pack rifle so we're at least a couple of pounds out of spec here for his needs.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by losthelegend View Post
I currently have a Rem 700 CDL in a 7mm and I am looking at doing a build in the same caliber. I am wanting to do the build in steps. I would like to have the action trued and blueprinted and recoil lug and barrel installed first. Then when funds become available have it cerakoted, purchase an after market trigger and lastly purchase a synthetic stock. I do not want to shoot the rifle until the build is totally complete. This project is just a side project that I really dont want to dump the total amount for right away.

My question is do you think that this process is feasable or a total waste of time for myself and the gunsmith? Where would your first step be, second and third etc.? What twist for the 7mm? Barrel Length?

My goal is to eventually have a lightweight gun to pack in for elk and mule deer. I would like the barrel to have flutes and a sporter type barrel and am leaning towards a B&C medalist stock with a timney trigger.

Any constructive advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for all of your suggestions!
1:9 will be adequate for any of the 7mm's I know of but 1:8.5 would give you some additional spin for bullets that may come out in the future.

A light varmint contour that finishes at around .725 at 26" and is fluted would give you good performance and meet your weight goals.

I'd step up to the 7mm STW while you are doing it for the added punch particularly with the 160-heavier class bullets for LR shooting.

You can shave a good bit more weight by saving a few extra bucks and going to one of the McMillian mountain rifle type hunting stocks or the new stocks from Precision Stock Works in New Braunfels Texas (their design made by McMillian for them.

Keeping weight to a minimum and performance to a maximum is tough.

You can get the action trued and the barrel installed for 800-1000.00 if you just send it to Brux, Krieger, or any of several other premium barrel makers and use the savings to go up in quality and down in weight in the stock.