Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

7mm Allen Magnum finished.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2005, 03:13 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: 7mm Allen Magnum finished.....

There has been an amendment to the rifle for the upcoming trip. Called Dan Lilja and had him send me up a Nightforce 3.5-15x 50mm NXS with the MLR reticle as well as a set of medium Nightforce rings.

Just did not care for how high the big Xotic USS had to be mounted to clear the barrel. She will go back on my 50 BMG and the NXS will find a permanent home on the 7mm Allen Mag.

Already got the drop chart set up for the MLR reticle with the load I will be using which is very mild for this round.

Full numbers are for the large hash marks, 1/2 numbers are for the smaller 1/2 mil hash marks. 0.0 is the main crosshair:

Reference line
0.0................................muzzle out to 350 yards
-0.5...............................390 yards
-1.0...............................470 yards
-1.5...............................550 yards
-2.0...............................625 yards
-2.5...............................695 yards
-3.0...............................765 yards
-3.5...............................830 yards
-4.0...............................895 yards
-4.5...............................955 yards
-5.0...............................1010 yards Start of heavy post of reticle

For ranges in between these you simply bracket the buck between the appropriate reference marks and pull the trigger.

When Richard get the heavier jacketed 200 gr ULDs up and running I will step things up to 3300 fps and see what happens, or not. will see how well she shoots at this level.

The MLR is basically the same reticle as the TMR from Leupold. Standard Mil Dot system but with fine lines instead of dots and also has 1/2 mil smaller lines as well for a finer hold for those "in between" ranges. The space between these lines is 1.8 moa compared to 2 moa for the NP-R2 reticle from Nightforce.

Just like the 270 AM using the standard mil dot dimensions, the 7mm AM will easily reach 1000 yards using the mild dot, TMR or MLR reticles. That with a 300 yard zero.

The nice thing is that its midrange trajectories with a 300 yard zero is only 3.6" so there is very little chance of overshooting should a 150-200 yard shot present itself. Out to 350 yards or so, use the main crosshair, past that, let the hash marks guide the bullet out to 1K. VERY fast system to use in the field. Admittedly perhaps not as accurate as dialing in, in theory but plenty for putting a 200 gr ULD through the chest of a big whitetail out to Very long ranges and with no scope adjustment or chance of loosing your zero in the field.

I guess I am just a simpleton but it does work well!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 11-05-2005, 03:37 PM
Platinum Member

Let us know how the reticle works, Kirby. I just sent off my scope for the Gen 2 Mil-Dot which I'll use the same way as you are above if Leupold drags their feet on the M2 knobs I want.

One note--are you sure the distance between the lines is 1.8 MOA and not 1.8 inches per hundred yards, or 1.72 MOA? Not that it makes a big difference (1.6" @ 1000 yds) I just want to make sure I have things right. I've already modified Dave's spreadsheet to automatically generate dropcharts in Mils that can be taped to the stock.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:33 PM
SPONSOR

Can I ask this questions without getting people upset?
What did you set your BC @ when getting these numbers with the 200 gr.? Also whatMV, Temp & elev?
If you think it will stir the pot, please just email me.
Thanks!
Old 11-05-2005, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]

The space between these lines is 1.8 moa compared to 2 moa for the NP-R2 reticle from Nightforce.
That with a 300 yard zero.
The nice thing is that its midrange trajectories with a 300 yard zero is only 3.6"

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't understand the 1.8 Mils between the lines......

I'm with ya the rest of the way.

The rainbow shooter I'm shooting is nearly 6" high mid range zero'd at 300 and hits the 5 mil post at 820 AND takes longer than a hungry fella going after a big Mac tp get there [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I'm thinkin' a 224 otta shot about as flat as that 7 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Good luck on the hunt, I figure you earned it.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:58 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Jon A.

I apologize, I typed that wrong, There is roughly 3.6" per 100 yards for each Mil Dot spacing. The MLR is the same system only using fine lines with the addition of 1/2 marks as well.

There is 1.8" between the half marks per 100 yards, roughly.

Sorry for the mix up typing faster then I am thinking!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 11-05-2005, 09:04 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Ernie,

I will tell you what BC value I used to generate this drop chart. Before I do though, to everyone wanting to raise a fuss about this, these are not scientificly proven BC values. They have been used to produce bullet drop compensation charts for ranges from 300 to 1400 yards though with this bullet so take it for what it is, just a number plugged into a ballistic program.

The data I used was as follows:

3100 fps
45 degrees F
29.92 pressure
3000 ft elevation

BC used .925

I will be testing this though the next week preparing for the hunt so I will let you know if any tweaking may be needed.

Again, for those wanting to throw your BS flags, please do not, this is not what you would call a pure BC value under most of your definitions, at least those of you that would be looking to discredit this number.

I will report soon how close this information was from actual bullet drop. I suspect it will be VERY close to dead on the money as far as bullet drop is concerned.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 11-06-2005, 03:43 PM
Silver Member

Kirby, look forwards to the reports on the performance of the 200 grainers. I've e-mailed you re some questions on the 7mm AM but am having problems with my server so my message may have not got through, could you advise? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]