Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

7mm Allen Magnum finished.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2005, 11:23 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

7mm Allen Magnum finished.....

Well, I got a message tonight to go on stand by to head up to Canada whenever I get the word. The plan is to go up for the last two weeks of November but if a big buck is patterned, I will be heading up as soon as I get a phone call to come up and try to hammer him.

Only problem, I just finished the rifle I hope to use for this hunt today!!!

The rifle is chambered for my 7mm Allen Mag with a 1-7 twist 3 groove Lilja #7 contour barrel. Fluted with Dans heavy 50 BMG style flutes. A Holland Comp recoil lug and QD muzzle brake are also fitted.

The receiver is a Rem 700, fully accurized of course and converted to single shot with a weldsmith bottom insert fitted.

The stock is a factory Rem Sendero Laminate stock which I pillar bedded and then filled the mag well with a 50-50 mixture of marine tex and #9 lead shot. Not only does this greatly stiffen up the stock for improved consistancy but it also adds a bit of weight to the stock to shift the balance of the rifle back slightly with the long medium weight barrel.

Trigger is a 1.5-3 lb Rifles Basix trigger set at 1.5 lbs even.

The top metal on the receiver is a Nightforce 20 MOA rail base, Badger Ord Max-50 rings and an Xotic USS 4-16x 56mm in the saddles. The scope and rings were borrowed from my 50 BMG so that is the reason for the Max-50 rings. Far more heavy duty then needed here but they were ready to roll so I used them.

Finished weight of the rifle as pictured is right at 14 lbs. Tommorow I will spend the day doing the barrel break in around customers rifle projects and then hopefully on Friday I will get the 105.0 gr WC872/200 gr ULD RBBT load tuned and ready to roll.

This load is a relatively mild load as it has been averaging right at 3200 fps in the new Lilja barrels so we will see how it performs. Hopefully I have a few days to get ready before I get the call. If not the 257 AM will take a ride up north!!!

I will keep you posted as to the results of the shooting and the hunt.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 11-02-2005, 11:46 PM
Bronze Member

Re: 7mm Allen Magnum finished.....

Just curious Fifty Driver where in Canada are you going Saskatchewan I hope...
Old 11-03-2005, 01:33 AM
Platinum Member

Fiftydriver,
My friend, did you think of me drooling as you were writing this post? Please keep us posted! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
I almost forgot! Good Hunting to you!!!!!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 11-03-2005, 03:05 AM
Silver Member

I'm with Eaglet. Just put on a clean shirt, wiped off my chin and replenished my fluids so as not to get dehydrated. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] You are indeed an artist. Good Luck up north. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Festus
Old 11-03-2005, 05:10 AM
Platinum Member

Kirby:

Beautiful looking rifle and great list of components. You picked the best chambering to use for your new Whitetail Hammer. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Guys, if you think the gun looks great in the pictures, I can guarantee you that pictures don't do justice to Kirby's work. I know, I've been packing one of his creations and it's been working fantastic and is a work of art in the rifle industry.

Good luck on your trip. We know the rifle and bullets will be up to the task. Now your faithful guide up there, [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] just needs to find Mr. Big and you're in business.

Keep us posted.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:50 AM
SPONSOR

Well good luck Kirby and good job on that beautiful rifle. Is the 270 AM not gonna get to have any fun on this trip [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]. Even if it doesn't get to eat up in Canada I am sure in about 3 weeks it will be doin some chewin down in Oklahoma [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Good Luck and dont forget to get good pics

Good Luck
Steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 11-03-2005, 08:55 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Varmicide,

Not this time my friend, more central Alberta. I hope to hunt your area someday though. You know any good whitetail outfitters in your area?

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com