Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

7mm accuracy problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 05:25 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm accuracy problems

Yeah, you told me about the lug issue in a PM exchange a few years ago but I didn't realize it had that much of an affect on accuracy. It's understandable though. I was about to get a Mark V and after our chat I decided against it. Ended up getting a 700 for the 300 RUM and replaced everything but the receiver. Next time I'll go full custom for any larger magnum.

Hopefully the OP will solve his issue with some more load development.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 09-06-2013, 05:26 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick523 View Post
First let me state this is JMO.
1. I'm guessing your brass could use some anneling, then trim all to length, camfer inside and out.
2. Make sure everything on the scope is properly torqued.

3. Your rifle should stabilize both the 168's and the 180's, my 7RM shoots the 168's very well. That said I had it specifically built for that bullet it is a 1-10
You might try H1000 I started with R22 after talking with Bryan Litz he suggested H1000 and I've never looked back. Try some different primers, 215m, CCI250, which is what I use I started with the 215's but was always getting one flyer on a suggestion from this sight I tried the 250's problem solved.

4. The bergers like to be seated close to the lands, mine are .001 off, experiment with different seating depths. From a jam out in .010 on out till you find something that is getting close to what you want then tweek from there in.001 increments.
These are the things that worked for me all info gathered here,I am not the most knowledgeable guy on this sight by any means, and still rely on this site and the shooters here for help now and again.
Shot this group last Saturday.Attachment 25129 Normally my groups measure around .25 I was just having a very good day. Good luck let us know what you come up with. And yes that is 3 shots, I had a witness who is a member on this forum.
Rick
Got to agree 100%!!!!!! Great shooting also!!!! MontanaRifleman, got to agree with you also! After a group like that, everything else is second best!!!

DT
Old 09-06-2013, 05:49 PM

Thanks fellas for All the interest in this thread. The rifle was originally a 270 wby. It shot ok with factory wby ammo but that was about it. It'll shoot my original accubond load pretty well, as in the occasional 1/2" group but it usually seems to average closer to 1". Plus the velocity/ temperature sensitivity when usin the 210 m primers and reloader 22 kinda tick me off. Looks like I really need to start over from scratch with all brand new components and start eliminating variables. It just really gets to me cuz I have a super light 270wsm with just a 3-9 leupy on it that'll shoot circles around this full custom 7 mag that I've dumped a whole lot of money and sweat into( not that I'm really complaining about the 270wsm since it weighs in at 7 lbs scoped.) I'm just really hoping to get this 7 shooting so I can start playin around at some truly longer ranges. Any chance any of you more experienced guys think that there might be any reason to try a lighter bullet such as the berger 140vld? Seems like I'd be sacrificing bc and wind drift but Im willing to try anything at this point.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:54 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

I would say try some H4831 or H1000 if your not happy with RL22.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-06-2013, 06:15 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick523 View Post
First let me state this is JMO.
1. I'm guessing your brass could use some anneling, then trim all to length, camfer inside and out.
2. Make sure everything on the scope is properly torqued.

3. Your rifle should stabilize both the 168's and the 180's, my 7RM shoots the 168's very well. That said I had it specifically built for that bullet it is a 1-10
You might try H1000 I started with R22 after talking with Bryan Litz he suggested H1000 and I've never looked back. Try some different primers, 215m, CCI250, which is what I use I started with the 215's but was always getting one flyer on a suggestion from this sight I tried the 250's problem solved.

4. The bergers like to be seated close to the lands, mine are .001 off, experiment with different seating depths. From a jam out in .010 on out till you find something that is getting close to what you want then tweek from there in.001 increments.
These are the things that worked for me all info gathered here,I am not the most knowledgeable guy on this sight by any means, and still rely on this site and the shooters here for help now and again.
Shot this group last Saturday.Attachment 25129 Normally my groups measure around .25 I was just having a very good day. Good luck let us know what you come up with. And yes that is 3 shots, I had a witness who is a member on this forum.
Rick
Again! Very good stuff!!! Kirby, thanks for the info on the weatherby action. ( I learned something) While the issue of weatherby actions come up, can any tell me if a (I think) browning bbr action is in any way like a weatherby? I have a chance to buy one an just wondering!
Old 09-06-2013, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member

SAGE- I have 9 twist Krieger on a rem 700. with 168's and re-19 I get great accuracy. 215 gm primer gave higher velocity, pressure and ES. I could mix 250 , wlrm and 9.5m get the same velocity , group size. i have not tried h-1000 it would be up next if i was to try something different.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:56 PM

Thanks roninflag, I think I'm gonna pull out some new brass and start over. I'm havin a hard time finding h1000 around here. But I have some rl15 plus some other good possible powders. I'll give it a shot and let you guys know how it goes. Think I'm gonna start off with cci 250s and see where it goes from there