Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Poll: What 7mm is best for me?
Poll Options
What 7mm is best for me?

7mm/300 wsm or 7mm SAUM?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 03:53 AM
Silver Member

Re: 7mm/300 wsm or 7mm SAUM?

There seems to be no relevant difference in popularity between WSM and SAUM in the poll, so why is SAUM brass so uncommon with the manufacturers?
I voted SAUM because I am having one built right now, but I have been waiting for 6 months for PT&G to supply the reamer!
I wander if that would be the case with the WSM.

Those issues aside, I think any of the 3 choices in the poll are on par for all practical reasons and You would be splitting hairs to argue otherwise.

I also think people tend to get too bogged down with decisions (me included) when they should just get out there and start pulling triggers
Old 12-13-2012, 10:24 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelshooter View Post
There seems to be no relevant difference in popularity between WSM and SAUM in the poll, so why is SAUM brass so uncommon with the manufacturers?
I voted SAUM because I am having one built right now, but I have been waiting for 6 months for PT&G to supply the reamer!
I wander if that would be the case with the WSM.

Have you tried
4D Reamer Rentals? http://www.4-dproducts.com/display.p...Rifle+Calibers

Quote:
Those issues aside, I think any of the 3 choices in the poll are on par for all practical reasons and You would be splitting hairs to argue otherwise.
Agree!!!

Quote:
I also think people tend to get too bogged down with decisions (me included) when they should just get out there and start pulling triggers
Just one gnawing question if I may: where can i find 7-300 wsm reamer and dies???

Thanks in advance

Last edited by 4bycamper; 12-13-2012 at 10:29 PM. Reason: add link
Old 04-09-2013, 06:35 PM
Silver Member

I can say that I have a couple of rifles chambered in 7mmSAUM and they're very easy to load for, have good barrel life, LOVE Varget, and are reasonably accurate.

If you go that route, go to Midway and set it up for them to notify you when some brass comes in. I think they only make a couple of runs of that brass each year. I have plenty (for me) and no I don't have even one piece I'd let go of... LOL

I DO have a few boxes of factory 150gr Core Lokt I'd let go of for a reasonable price if they're not too hard to mail though... No I didn't buy them myself... i got them with one of my rifles and they shoot well but I'm committed to 140gr Ballistic Tips and AccuBonds.

None of your choices are bad ones but the other two (7mm/300 wsm) IMO have considerably more recoil (yes I've shot them all) and for me that would be a deal breaker unless I was building a fairly heavy rifle.

$bob$
Old 05-02-2013, 11:00 PM

I should not make this chose complicated, and therfore go for the 7mm rem.mag you shooting a 150 grs bullet at 3150 fps, the other hot ones will for sure limit the life of the barrel, and it need to be changed after 450-500 rounds, so if you only hunting with it dossent matter, but if you reloding and target shooting on steel its better with a 7 mm reg mag, and there is always factory loaded ammo to get in each small town.

If the target is out to 1200 yards the 7mm rem mag will do the work.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
7mm/300 wsm or 7mm SAUM?-img_0513.jpg  
Old 05-06-2013, 02:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quick question....But what is the difference between the 7mm/300 WSM, and the 7mm WSM? I would have figured the 7mm & 300 WSM's both utilized the same case?

Sorry for the ignorant post....Just kind of curious when I saw those 2 options listed for the poll.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Quick question....But what is the difference between the 7mm/300 WSM, and the 7mm WSM? I would have figured the 7mm & 300 WSM's both utilized the same case?

Sorry for the ignorant post....Just kind of curious when I saw those 2 options listed for the poll.
The neck on the 300 is longer.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 05-06-2013, 03:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
The neck on the 300 is longer.
Thank you Tank.

I accidentally voted for 7mm/300 WSM, but I'll change my vote to 7mm WSM.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.