Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Poll: What 7mm is best for me?
Poll Options
What 7mm is best for me?

7mm/300 wsm or 7mm SAUM?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2010, 09:30 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm/300 wsm or 7mm SAUM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroducksx3 View Post
Loaders loft I havent put in practice yet but I dont see why it wont work. The T-3 is a long action no matter what caliber. So that magazine for it in the short actions just has more plastic on the back of it. You should be able to grind that plastic down to allow a longer cartridge length in your short action calibers.
If I was you, I'd run that experiment sooner than later. You might have trouble with the rounds tilting in the magazine. Also double check the clearance of the bolt when resting against the bolt stop - will it pick up a round any further back?

Maybe you should go with 7mm rsum which is a bit shorter, and/or have it throated short to accomodate deep seated bullets.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Silver Member

You probably have saved the 300 wsm brass. Basically, buy the fl die for the 7mm/300 and you are ready to go. I recommend a 7mm/300 wsm. The recoil and noise is not bad. It is an accurate round that allows a variety of powders and bullet weights. Personnaly, I use the 130 gr Barnes x bullet with fantastic results.

Good Luck
Old 05-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
I vote for the 7wsm. It has the most fps.

You'll not likely see the difference the neck length makes in a hunting rifle.

With a decent sized barrel you probably won't tell the difference in recoil either. Mine is a 28" varmint taper and it kicks like a pussycat.

Forming Norma brass is easy too. Using 300wsm all you have to do is neck down leaving a false shoulder and shoot. I've gotten great accuracy in my fireform loads.
+1
But I would keep the 7 WSM head stamp on my brass . (Less chance of a screw up).

J E CUSTOM
Old 05-03-2010, 09:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
+1
But I would keep the 7 WSM head stamp on my brass . (Less chance of a screw up).

J E CUSTOM
I'll gladly use 7 WSM brass. As soon as Norma or Lapua makes some.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loaders_loft View Post
If you're used to shooting the 300 wsm in a T3 then the 7wsm will be a relief for you. while rebarreling get a real nice decelerator pad, that makes a big difference. I'm currently getting ready to fireform the norma 300 wsm brass, just sorted 100 pieces into 2 boxes of 45 within 1 grain, plus about 5 foulers per box. Still debating whether to shoot bullets or cream of wheat. I figure the cream of wheat is no big loss; I can always fireform again with bullets, but I need to find some fast powder locally.

You mentioned having your T-3 rebarreled from 300 wsm, but then you said you're using a long action to seat bullets out longer. My experience has been the magazine on the T3 limits seating depth on the wsm cartridge. Whats the secret here?
neck turning is a pain in the ***. I did half dozen a few nights ago and I've been dreading going back to it since...
Old 05-07-2010, 02:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
neck turning is a pain in the ***. I did half dozen a few nights ago and I've been dreading going back to it since...
Finally finished neck turning 50 pcs and sized them with a false shoulder. I think the worst part about neck turning is the shell holder that comes with the forster HOT neck turning tool It has a terrible screw that just doesn't clamp down. I resorted to doubling up my T-shirt as a way to get a good grip on the silly yellow knob... I have 50 more pieces of weight sorted and 300wsm fl sized brass awaiting neck turning; at this point I think I'll set them aside until my fingers heal up...
Old 05-07-2010, 08:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Finally finished neck turning 50 pcs and sized them with a false shoulder. I think the worst part about neck turning is the shell holder that comes with the forster HOT neck turning tool It has a terrible screw that just doesn't clamp down. I resorted to doubling up my T-shirt as a way to get a good grip on the silly yellow knob... I have 50 more pieces of weight sorted and 300wsm fl sized brass awaiting neck turning; at this point I think I'll set them aside until my fingers heal up...

I use channel locks on my silly little yellow knob. The worst part is that you can barely fit a WSM casing in the holder.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!